Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal microphone on macbook pro stopped working

Hello guys,

the internal microphone on my MacBook pro 13' 2013 suddenly stopped working. I did this SMC and the other reset i don't remember and tried it with a different user account. Still the microphone won't register any sound.

Does this mean this is a hardware failure? Can it just break like that? What would it cost to replace it?

Thank you for your help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 10:12 AM

3 replies

Feb 27, 2018 11:19 AM in response to tomasc21

tomasc21 wrote:

yes it does show up

If it simply doesn't show up, often an SMC reset will typically restore the recognition. In your case it sounds like it's connected but malfunctioning. I don't think yours has a jack that can take a line in, so your alternatives are probably a USB microphone or a microphone connected to a USB adapter like the Griffin iMic. Several are just little USB plugs with a small mic, while others are more a microphone with a cable to the USB connector.

I think you can probably get Apple to replace it for you, but the cost will mostly be in the labor, and I don't think they'll directly sell the part. Maybe a salvage part, but it's a really pain to disassemble everything needed to get to the microphone.

Internal microphone on macbook pro stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.