Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X losing 5ghz WiFi signal

I have an iPhone X running 11.2.6 and I’ve noticed when I am on the 5ghz network I constantly lose the signal. The majority of the time I see 1-2 bars for the WiFi signal and even when I’m a few feet it’s 2 bars. If I’m on the 2.4ghz I get full bars. I am fully aware that 5ghz signals do not travel as far as 2.4 or interference is greater My router is an Apple AirPort Extreme.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), iPhone X

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 5:56 PM

4 replies

Feb 27, 2018 7:33 PM in response to Triple4

You said what I was going to say. The 5 gHz signal is not as strong as the lower gHz bands. So this is typical. You may be able to see if there is a firmware upgrade to your AirPort Extreme.

My AirPort Extreme failed after 5 years of use, and we went to Netgear, the signals throughout the house are much better now. We didn't have a choice because we were not able to find any Apple Router replacements.

Feb 27, 2018 7:37 PM in response to ZaZo

Thanks for the reply. I checked and my AirPort is up to date.

I had the iPhone 7 prior to the X and I don’t recall my signal being as intermittent as the X’s. It’s not usually a big deal. Just thought it was odd since my house isn’t very big and the signal is having difficulties covering the house.

Mar 1, 2018 6:48 PM in response to ZaZo

What’s also odd is I have an AppleTV 4th generation connected to the 5ghz network and that holds a consistent 4 bars. The AppleTV is farthest away from the router and my iPhone is always losing the signal or it’s fluctuating a lot.

Only thing I can think of is it has better WiFi capabilities?

iPhone X losing 5ghz WiFi signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.