Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Holi is showing up in the "US Holidays"

Holi is showing up in the "US Holidays" on my calendar. I know Apple wants to be accurate so please remove this or advise how I can remove this. I don't need Non-American holidays filling my calendar.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 9:03 PM

Maybe but it's not a US holiday. US holidays are not determined by population. Respectfully, Hindu or any holiday other than a US holiday have no importance to me. I would say Most Americans don't want to have them cluttering our calendars.

99 replies

Mar 2, 2018 3:19 AM in response to Csound1

That isn't a good reason. US Holidays refer to an official list put out by the federal government and indicate when business and government entities will be closed. See this What are Federal holidays? - OPM.gov

Holi showing up on the US Holidays calendar does not make sense - it is the holiday of another country and thus negates the title of the calendar "US Holidays". I will say this isn't only Holi showing up, Cinco de Mayo is on it now as well as Ramadan. These are recent changes too, so seems to be some PC BS. If people want to subscribe to a calendar that has Holi on it more power to them but it doesn't have a place on US Holidays until the federal government adds it.

The purpose of subscribing to certain calendars is to get specific dates pertaining to those calendars. The US Holidays calendar is changing to be a Global Holidays calendar and should have its title changed if it insists on going in this direction.

Mar 2, 2018 10:51 AM in response to canine2

Come on Apple!?!?! Can't you give us, your customers, better service than this disservice.

1. Official U.S. Holidays should be on the U.S. Holiday Calendar. i.e. those holidays recognized by the U.S. Federal Government, the NYSE, States, etc...

2. If you want to celebrate International holidays or religious holidays why not create holiday calendars for such so individuals can tailor their calendar to their personal needs.

3. At the very least give us the option to Edit the holidays you push on to our calendars.

Apple products should seamlessly integrate into my life and seek do so without disruption of it.

Mar 2, 2018 11:18 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence, thanks for the post. You are wrong though. The federal holidays are the US holidays. They were synonymous until Apple began changing the calendar. I and many others want a calendar that only have the federal holidays. You are wrong to state those holidays only matter for federal employees. Have you ever tried to go to a bank or post office on a federal holiday? They are closed. Schools are out on those days too. So, having these holidays on my calendar helps me plan my week. I don’t want the calendar simply to know when these holidays are, I want the calendar to know when businesses may be closed and federal services inaccessible.

Of course Holi is a real holiday. If you read my posts you would have seen that I hope. I never disputed it as being celebrated or a real holiday. I just want a calendar that has the official federal (United States) holidays only.

I like the renaming of the calendar you propose. I am not offended by Holi or anything else showing up. I think the best solution is for Apple to have a US Federal Holidays calendar. That would solve this for everyone.

Mar 2, 2018 6:29 AM in response to canine2

canine2 wrote:

Maybe but it's not a US holiday. US holidays are not determined by population. Respectfully, Hindu or any holiday other than a US holiday have no importance to me. I would say Most Americans don't want to have them cluttering our calendars.

So what happened was slightly over a week ago Apple changed the calendar so it was strictly secular. Then this web site was full of Christians complaining about the removal of the "American holiday" Easter from their calendar. Go figure, Easter isn't any kind of official holiday. Anyway, a week later Easter reappeared but so did a bunch of other days, this time representing the entire diversity of the USA instead of the traditional mention of only Christian events. It isn't that Apple's calendar is changing to to be a "global calendar" as davidfrommobile writes, it's the US that is changing to be more diverse and has been ever since its inception.

Your real solution:

About holiday calendars on iOS and macOS - https://support.apple.com/HT208541 - "Learn how to display holiday calendars in the Calendar app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac."

Use iCloud calendar subscriptions - Apple Support - https://support.apple.com/HT202361

iCloud: Delete or hide an event in iCloud Calendar - https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2684?locale=en_US

How to add calendar events to your Calendar application for OS X/Mac OS and iOS - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-12741

https://www.apple.com/feedback/calendar.html

I think this series of discussions provides a different perspective on federal holidays: Feb 2018 post by Michael Black - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8293223?answerId=33068171022#33068171022 - "technically the US Federal Government Holidays are not national holidays since Congress only has powers to create holidays for federal institutions. So strictly speaking, the USA has no legally recognized national holidays." If you're interested in more along those lines https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8293916?start=90&tstart=0 and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8296222?answerId=33080568022#33080568022 and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8296222?answerId=33081933022#33081933022

I'll add a note that although Washington's birthday federal holiday was last week, this is not widely observed and in my city services such as garbage pickup continued on a normal schedule.

Mar 3, 2018 11:21 AM in response to canine2

canine2 wrote:

I'm on the fence as to whether I will stay with Apple. They have a good product but I don't like that the altering of the traditional US Holiday calendar as we understand it was done by them. Feels like they're forcing globalization on America. Just my two cents and I won't be responding to counter arguments...

Where would you go? Certainly not Android. Did you see the Google Doodle yesterday?

User uploaded file

Mar 3, 2018 4:18 PM in response to k133

k133 wrote:

April Fools Day also isn’t a US Holiday— did you resent its inclusion as well? What about Cinco de Mayo, particularly as it was factually inaccurate from the beginning to include it in a US Holidays calendar when it’s literally another country’s Independence Day, even though nobody ever made a fuss and pointed that out because they didn’t care about this until Apple decided to manually remove the #4 most celebrated holiday in the US? It only makes sense that a calendar entitled “US Holidays” that isn’t restricted to actual federal holidays would include the most celebrated holidays in the US. That’s just common sense.

Also, the calendar options that Apple gives us in Settings are Hebrew, Islamic and Chinese. Why do only Christians need to download some separate 3rd party calendar? Particularly as it would be the one most commonly used in the US.

Why don't you send a message to Apple?

Product Feedback - Apple

Also - Cinco de Mayo is isn't an independence day. It commemorates a victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla. It's a pretty minor holiday in Mexico and isn't a federal holiday there. It's generally more of a Mexican-American celebration than anything else.

Mar 2, 2018 6:09 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1, you need to read more carefully, I said "it really has NOTHING to do with my opinion". Sorry you're taking this personally and using the prejudice card but it's a simple request to correct the calendar so it reflects the actual US holidays. Nothing to do with denying someone their beliefs. Facts are facts and this isn't a US holiday no matter how much you may or may not believe in offending or appeasing people.

Mar 2, 2018 6:42 AM in response to canine2

canine2 wrote:

Csound1, you need to read more carefully, I said "it really has NOTHING to do with my opinion". Sorry you're taking this personally and using the prejudice card but it's a simple request to correct the calendar so it reflects the actual US holidays. Nothing to do with denying someone their beliefs. Facts are facts and this isn't a US holiday no matter how much you may or may not believe in offending or appeasing people.

What you're not understanding is that those Federal Government Employee holidays you referenced are just that, holidays for Federal Employees. They are not any kind of definitive list of "U.S. holidays'. There is no such list. All calendars are simple the opinion of the publisher. Holi, Eid and Yom Kippur are just as American as Easter.

Mar 2, 2018 8:04 AM in response to bgwallace

Hi Brad, as you can see in the post looks like these non US holidays will remain. Interestingly enough, the default setting on iOS devices is for U.S. holidays, which shows holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas and Independence Day. However, there is an option to add Alternate Calendars, including Chinese, Hebrew and Islamic. But Christian is absent from this list. On one of the last iPhone updates, Good Friday and Easter Sunday were deliberately removed from the calendars. People complained and they were since added back. I think we both know that the common sense solution would be to leave the calendar in its original form and persons of faith could create their own calendars accordingly, but that makes too much sense.

Mar 2, 2018 10:09 AM in response to canine2

Hi canine2,

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for pushing for answers on this topic! It would be ideal if as you mentioned the US Holiday calendar could include only the federal holidays and then folks could either add separate/alternative calendars for religious holidays or simply add their own. If Apple doesn't support this approach, I would prefer to be able to delete the US Holiday calendar (appears to me I currently can't do this; I can only hide it) and manage my own US Holidays.

Thanks again,

Brad

Mar 2, 2018 10:27 AM in response to Csound1

Unsubscribing causes the calendar events to be hidden but unfortunately it doesn't actually remove the calendar from the device. If I unsubscribe from a shared calendar, I'd like the calendar to be completely removed from the device altogether. If I then decide I'd like to subscribe to it again (or any other shared calendar), I'd need to be able to search from a list of available shared calendars and select the calendar/s I'd like to subscribe to which would then add them to the device.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Brad

Holi is showing up in the "US Holidays"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.