Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will I lose software with a facotry reset?

I’m looking at purchasing a used iMac and the seller says it comes with Photoshop, Logic Pro and Final Cut. If I purchase this computer and sign in with my Apple ID will I have to reset/restore and will this remove these programs from the computer?

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:14 AM

Yes. Macs don't ship with any of those pre-installed. They have to be purchased. If the "seller" is not giving you the original installation media and license keys for that software, then they are passing it on to you illegally.

6 replies

Feb 28, 2018 6:21 AM in response to GWampler

I figured I’d also put what I’m looking at:

“”iMac 21.5" Mid 2010. A1311 and iMac 11,2

Intel Core i3 3.2ghz DualCore. It runs Fast

8GB DDR3 memory .

500gb Harddrive .

ATI Radeon HD 5670 512Mb video card

SuperDrive DVD+RW

21.5'' LED widescreen (1920x1080). Support up to 2 monitors with 2560 x 1600

Fast WiFi, Bluetooth

iSight Camera and Microphone

Media Reader

Mini Display ports for external monitor.

One FireWire 800 port

Four USB ports

Fresh OSX 10.13 High Sierra , iLife 11, Office 11 and Photoshop, Final Cut Pro 10 and Logic Pro.

Come with Apple Keyboard and mouse.

30 days warranty with receipt. “”

Is this worth $400?

Feb 28, 2018 6:34 AM in response to GWampler

No, if you want to buy used buy from a reputable source. I'd recommend first Apple's own refurbished iMacs. These have no downside, they are identical to new, come with a 1 year warranty, are eligible for AppleCare and can save hundreds of $$. Second, I'd buy from www.macsales.com, their machines are refurbished with a fresh install of Mac OS, have a 90 day warranty and OWC is a very reputable company.

Don't buy from someone on the street, you never know what you're getting and they're frequently misrepresented or incomplete.

Feb 28, 2018 8:26 AM in response to GWampler

Aside from the added illegal software, selling you a 2010 with the latest OS installed is also violating the licensing agreement - moreover, you would never be able to update any apps or reinstall the OS because it is still tied to the seller's Apple ID. Ask him if he will do what he is supposed to do: use internet recovery to wipe the drive and reinstall the original OS version (and, if that is 10.6.x, must be accompanied by the install disks).

Will I lose software with a facotry reset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.