Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use a lower third multiple times?

Here's a question that I have been struggling with for years. First, a little background. I produce a weekly sports highlite program where I use an FX Factory plugin for showing the score. Typical lower third. I add the teams and the team logos. Of course, I need to change the actual score multiple times during the program. The only way I am able to change it is to go back into the timeline (a pain) and copy the graphic, paste it and then change the score. I tried to make a copy in Motion but FX Factory will not allow me to do that. I tried to make a compound clip but that changes the score in all of the graphics on the entire timeline. If there is a way to accomplish this, you folks on this forum will figure it out. I would like to just drop the graphic into the timeline and simply change the score keeping the logos and teams intact. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Cheers.

Tom

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), 32 gig RAM

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:37 AM

Ideally, you should use a template that allowed for not just the score, but also the team names and logos.

That way, you would be able to just copy and paste (or, better yet, option-drag), then change the score.

If, as it seems to be the case (if I am understanding it correctly), you use a template for the score, and add the team names and logos separately, then it makes sense to use a compound clip.

The problem, as you experience, is that copies of the compound all refer to the same "parent", hence changes in one affect all. The solution is, after you make another instance, and before you start making changes, select the new compound and do Clip->Reference New Parent Clip.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 6:37 AM in response to Thomas Whaley

Ideally, you should use a template that allowed for not just the score, but also the team names and logos.

That way, you would be able to just copy and paste (or, better yet, option-drag), then change the score.

If, as it seems to be the case (if I am understanding it correctly), you use a template for the score, and add the team names and logos separately, then it makes sense to use a compound clip.

The problem, as you experience, is that copies of the compound all refer to the same "parent", hence changes in one affect all. The solution is, after you make another instance, and before you start making changes, select the new compound and do Clip->Reference New Parent Clip.

How to use a lower third multiple times?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.