Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard lag? (iOS 11.2.6 on iPhone 8 Plus)

I am experiencing keyboard lag when entering messages in iMessage or WhatsApp. I am running iOS 11.2.6 on iPhone 8 Plus. I am currently using two keyboards (US English and Emoji). I am writing messages in English and a foreign language using the same US English keyboard. The keyboard's predictive text has learned many of the foreign words I am using but do not think that's the problem since it has worked without lag before. The lag seems to be something that came with the latest iOS update. It's annoying to see such a fast phone responding so slowly to my keyboard input. How to resolve this issue? Thanks.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 12:42 AM

HI there, Sheppard!

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities! If I understand your issue, when typing in Messages or WhatsApp, the keyboard--which you use the English and Emoji keyboards with--will be delayed showing what you've typed on the screen. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you've described, I would first recommend force closing any open apps, to make sure nothing is accessing the keyboard: How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support . Then, restart your iOS device Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support , and see if the issue continues.

If it does, backup your iPhone How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support and then reinstall the iOS software using the "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" section of If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support . Even though the title of the article doesn't match your issue, the steps to reinstall are whats important.

Have a great day!
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 12:42 AM in response to sheppard6352

HI there, Sheppard!

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities! If I understand your issue, when typing in Messages or WhatsApp, the keyboard--which you use the English and Emoji keyboards with--will be delayed showing what you've typed on the screen. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you've described, I would first recommend force closing any open apps, to make sure nothing is accessing the keyboard: How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support . Then, restart your iOS device Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support , and see if the issue continues.

If it does, backup your iPhone How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support and then reinstall the iOS software using the "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" section of If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support . Even though the title of the article doesn't match your issue, the steps to reinstall are whats important.

Have a great day!

Apr 3, 2018 12:32 AM in response to sheppard6352

I have found that on IOS 11.3 I have massive keyboard lag on certain websites. I don't know if this is due to Java script or some other embedded scripting language butit is massively infuriating. I only see this issue in Safari and for instance on the forums on Yahoo Finance (try typing into one of their comment boxes and you'll see the problem). Might be some form of forced web page refresh that's eating cpu resources.

Apple, please investigate.

Thanks.

Keyboard lag? (iOS 11.2.6 on iPhone 8 Plus)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.