Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages in iOS 11.3: Keyboard selector stuck in English/Smileys only

This bug just now appeared in Messages: suddenly the input language selector key on the keyboard only toggles between English and smileys. Swedish (my native language) has vanished. In other apps all seems well; I can toggle between the input languages that I have preset in Settings.

Anyone else experiencing this?

iPhone 6, iOS 11.1, null

Posted on May 5, 2018 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2018 5:20 PM

Hello puklars,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding you're only able to switch between the English and emoji keyboards when using Messages on your iPhone. I can see how this could be concerning since this doesn't occur in other apps. I'm happy to help.

If you haven't already, force Messages to close and test the issue again
How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists, restart your iPhone. This simple step can help with many unexpected behaviors.
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let us know the results. Please provide any additional troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2018 5:20 PM in response to puklars

Hello puklars,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding you're only able to switch between the English and emoji keyboards when using Messages on your iPhone. I can see how this could be concerning since this doesn't occur in other apps. I'm happy to help.

If you haven't already, force Messages to close and test the issue again
How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists, restart your iPhone. This simple step can help with many unexpected behaviors.
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let us know the results. Please provide any additional troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!

May 5, 2018 11:49 PM in response to sterling r

Hi sterling r,

Thank you for your response.

I restarted my iPhone and Messages went back to normal, with all my preset input languages available.

In conclusion, I indeed managed to solve “my” problem easily, but as for this and other bug-related discussions on this forum, it would be nice to have this thread be absorbed in the knowledge loop of the company (is it ever read by developers?) and actually be addressed, to keep other customers from ever seeing the bug.

Messages in iOS 11.3: Keyboard selector stuck in English/Smileys only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.