Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete Photos app from iCloud Drive will it be deleted from my Mac too?

Let me start by saying that I am so new at the iCloud it is frightening as to what I might do to my computer.

Playing around to try to learn more about iCloud Drive, I uploaded the Mac Photos onto iCloud Drive.

When I click it to started to download into zip files that app which I stopped and put those files into the

trash and emptied it securely.

Today thought I like to remove this upload from iCloud Drive, and deleted it -- but in the deleted items

it says it will delete it from all iOS devices too if deleted on iCloud Drive -- are 'all iOS devices' meaning

the Photo app on my MacBook Air? Can I safely delete the uploaded Mac Photo app from iCloud Drive

without it disappearing on the MacBook Air?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Memory4GB1600MHz,Processor1.3GHz

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 9:12 AM

5 replies

Feb 28, 2018 10:36 AM in response to allan299

You need to be specific in your question

What exact, specific iCloud services are you using?

You can not have applications on iCloud at all - it is only for data, not applications

In general iCloud is NOT a storage location or a backup but is a syncing service to allow multiple devices to access the same data - so in general anything deleted form any connected data set will be deleted from all connected devices

You need to tell us exactly what software you have (versions) and what you are doing - and if you are not sure how to do something clearly what you want to achieve

LN

Feb 28, 2018 10:30 AM in response to LarryHN

You ask, What exact, specific iCloud services are you using?

I am using iCloud Drive and iCloud: Photos, Contacts, Mail, Bookmarks + Favorites options only

and only with one MacBook Air 10.10.5 with a Photos 1.0.1 (215.65.0)

iCloud Drive says that it will deleted whatever is deleted from "all iOS devices".

You say, "...so in general anything deleted form any connected data set will be deleted from all connected devices." Clarification please: is the MacBook Air an iOS device, or are iOS devices not the computer/Mac

but the phones, pads, etc?? This is simple but this is what I want to know.

I don't know how it happened but I "uploaded" the Mac Photo app to iCloud Drive,

have now deleted it and deleted all deletions: is the Photo app on my Mac going to be deleted?!

Please, again this is elementary, but this is what I want to know.

What I want to achieve is peace of mind that the Mac Photo app is not going to disappear.

I also would like to be able to go into the Apple>SysPref>iCloud without a spinning wheel

happening and my having to force quit SysPref to close the panel.

I think I have to 'playing around' with the iCloud Photos and iCloud Drive too much and

that that is why the spinning wheel is happening and hoping it will work itself out if I give

it the 40 days for complete completion of the hundreds of photos I deleted to register

properly -- they are gone from MacPhotos (deleted manually) and from iCloud Photos

(deleted manually) and in both cases deleted the deletions; so currently all appears

fine but don't want to be surprised in 40 days and find that the MacPhotos app has

been deleted from iCloud Drive deletion of the uploading of the app which I did today.

Want to achieve getting the spinning wheel to stop, or knowing it will with patience.

Want to achieve peace of mind that when the iCloud Drive says it will delete item

from all "iOS devices" this does not include the Mac Photos.

I am very grateful for you hanging in there with me, your obvious patience and

understanding.

All the best.

Feb 28, 2018 11:58 AM in response to allan299

If you delete an item, it will be deleted from all devices and computers syncing with iCloud.

For the Photos app, check your Applications folder. If you deleted it from iCloud Drive and it is still in the Applications folder, it will likely remain. Did you actually load the Photos app or the Phots Library?

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit System Preferences.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Feb 28, 2018 1:46 PM in response to Eric Root

The icon at iCloud Drive said "Photos app" and when I clicked it showed material

being transferred with 'zip' in the label.

I check the Library.photos library in Finder and when I clicked it it opened

Mac Photos and everything was as it should be.

When I opened Mac Photos everything was as it should be too.

Am I okay or can there be a delay in iCloud Drive deleting Mac Photos.

Why did it says it would delete from all "iOS devices" and somethings

the Apple articles seem to be distinguishing these from "computer" -

So is it for sure under these circumstances that iCloud Drive will eventually

delete my Mac Photos!!!!!??

If I delete Photos app from iCloud Drive will it be deleted from my Mac too?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.