Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I vary the space between a chart's dates?

I have a Numbers sheet where I have dates in column A, numeric values in B. When I plot those in a chart, the dates appear as X-axis values such that the space between the 2nd and 3rd is the same as between, say, the 3rd and the 15th.

Is there a way to make the space between the dates variable? I have a feeling I simply must have all the days in column A for the range I need.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 16 GB

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 11:29 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 28, 2018 11:48 AM in response to Tim Murray2

Hi Tim,

Column A on your table is a Header Column, and your chart is a Category chart. Each 'category' is given equal space on the Category Axis.

You need to place the Dates in a non-header column so they may be treated as Data, not category labels.

Click on any cell in column B, then press option-left arrow to insert a new non-header column between B (now C) and A.

Click on (the new) B2 to select it, type = to open the formula editor, then click on A2, then click the green checkmark to confirm the formula.

Fill the formula down column B to the last row containing a date in column A.This will also select all cells containing the formula.

With these cells selected, Copy, then go Edit (menu) > Paste Formula Results to replace the formulas with the dates that were copied from column A.

Format the selected cells as Date & Time, with Date set to display as you want it and Time set to none.

Select column A and go Table > Delete column.

Select columns A and B, then go to the Charts button and choose x-y scatter graph.

Format as desired.

Regards,

Barry

Can I vary the space between a chart's dates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.