Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Allow screens to turn off, but keep Mac awake

I have external monitors connected to my MacBook Pro, and I want both the built-in display and the external monitors to turn off after a few minutes, but to keep the MacBook itself awake. I use AnyDesk to access it remotely over the internet and it won't work if the Mac goes to sleep.

The only option I have set in Energy Saver is to turn the Display off after 15 minutes, but it still puts the system to sleep, disconnecting my VPN and preventing access via AnyDesk.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 15-inch, Mid 2014

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:28 PM

In your screenshot you don't have "Prevent computer from sleeping…" checked. Having it checked helps.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 28, 2018 3:10 PM in response to JimMcKeeth

Turning the display off shouldn't be an issue, but if it is, then there's probably no hope. The only other thing you could try is going to System Preferences>Mission Control and clicking the 'Hot Corners' button on the lower left. Then set one of the corners in the drop-down to 'Put Display to Sleep.' To test the 'Hot Corner' and see if it fixes your issue, simply drag your mouse down to that corner and let go of the mouse (or stop touching the trackpad). The display should go to sleep. This might do the same thing as 'Turning the Display Off,' but it's worth a shot. 🙂

Allow screens to turn off, but keep Mac awake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.