Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off external monitor when MacBook sleeps?

I have a MacBook Pro. When I'm not using it - at lunch time and overnight - I put the MBP to sleep. This in turns sends the external monitor (Acer H277HU) to sleep. However, should I be turning the external monitor off?

Will this save energy, money and the life span of the monitor - or the opposite?

(When the monitor is on, the power light is on. When it is asleep the power light flashes.)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Jan 28, 2018 5:21 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 29, 2018 2:00 AM in response to Eric Root

One of the reasons why I'm hesitate about turning the monitor off while the MacBook is asleep, is in the monitor installation instructions it states:

"Turn on the monitor first, then the computer. This sequence is very important."

It's not clear if this is just refering to the first time set up or if this sequence should be observed for ever.

I guess if I turn off the monitor while the MacBook sleeps, I could then follow the following sequence: turn monitor on, then wake MacBook.

Any thoughts?

Turn off external monitor when MacBook sleeps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.