Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse misbehaves in Mail

I can see the scroll bar on Mail on both the inbox and display, but the mouse will not scroll, only by clicking and then drag up or down will make it work . It works fine in all other applications as far as I can tell.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 7:54 AM

Hi, 2sidedaviary.

I see you've been faced with an interesting issue using your mouse in the Mail application on your iMac. The scroll bars will only work when you drag it up or down. Clicking inside the scroll bar itself doesn't seem to work. I'm happy to help.

macOS Sierra: Quit apps -- Make certain the Mail app is completely closed, then restart the Mail app while holding down the shift key. See if the mouse and scroll bars work together correctly. If they do, quit the Mail application again and restart it normally to test.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- If the issue persists, test how it responds in safe mode. If there are no issues, reboot normally and test again in your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test another user account. You'll also need to add at least one email account to this new user. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if it's system wide.

If the above steps haven't resolved the issue, what type of mouse are you using with your iMac?

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 7:54 AM in response to 2sidedaviary

Hi, 2sidedaviary.

I see you've been faced with an interesting issue using your mouse in the Mail application on your iMac. The scroll bars will only work when you drag it up or down. Clicking inside the scroll bar itself doesn't seem to work. I'm happy to help.

macOS Sierra: Quit apps -- Make certain the Mail app is completely closed, then restart the Mail app while holding down the shift key. See if the mouse and scroll bars work together correctly. If they do, quit the Mail application again and restart it normally to test.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- If the issue persists, test how it responds in safe mode. If there are no issues, reboot normally and test again in your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Limited graphics performance in OS X recovery or safe mode

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test another user account. You'll also need to add at least one email account to this new user. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if it's system wide.

If the above steps haven't resolved the issue, what type of mouse are you using with your iMac?

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

Mouse misbehaves in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.