Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can series 3 apple watch, gps only, connect to wifi?

Can’t get my series 3 with GPS to connect to WiFi. Have it paired to my phone, which is connected to qualifying network. Have tried various suggested troubleshooting steps and still has no connectivity once I turn Bluetooth off on my iPhone.

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 8:52 AM

Hi

Yes - all models of Apple Watch can connect to Wi-Fi.

Whenever your Apple Watch cannot connect to the paired iPhone via Bluetooth, it will attempt, as a fallback, to connect to a compatible Wi-Fi network.

It cannot connect to Wi-Fi when it is already connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth. Bluetooth is the most power-efficient method of connection for your devices and Apple recommends keeping it permanently enabled on your iPhone.

A compatible Wi-Fi network is an 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network that your iPhone has connected to before whilst your Apple Watch was connected to the iPhone via Bluetooth. Apple Watch cannot connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi networks or to public networks that require logins, subscriptions or profiles.

To check whether your Apple Watch can connect to Wi-Fi as a fallback:

If your Apple Watch does not connect to Wi-Fi as expected (after allowing a few moments), then follow these steps:

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Check your Wi-Fi router / access point settings, including for any access controls that may have been enabled:

If you are using a third-party security-related app on your iPhone and Apple Watch, then it may help to remove it.

• This has resolved issues for others with their Apple Watch not connecting to Wi-Fi as expected.

Ensure that your Apple Watch and iPhone are connected via Bluetooth and also that your iPhone is connected to your Wi-Fi network:

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Wi-Fi:

• Tap on the "i" / info icon to the right of your Wi-Fi network name > tap on Forget This Network.
  • With your Apple Watch still connected via Bluetooth, reconnect your iPhone to your Wi-Fi network, being sure to check that you are connecting to an 802.11b/g/n 2.4 GHz network.
  • Pause for a few moments to allow the Wi-Fi information to be shared to your Apple Watch.

On your iPhone, enable Airplane Mode:

Check whether your Apple Watch has successfully connected to the Wi-Fi network by checking for the Wi-Fi icon at the upper-left of Control Centre (allow a short while for it to connect after losing the connection with your iPhone):

When finished, turn off Airplane Mode on your iPhone.

If you have not yet done so and if the feature is supported on your plan, you may also wish to enable Wi-Fi Calling on your devices:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 8:52 AM in response to cntww8

Hi

Yes - all models of Apple Watch can connect to Wi-Fi.

Whenever your Apple Watch cannot connect to the paired iPhone via Bluetooth, it will attempt, as a fallback, to connect to a compatible Wi-Fi network.

It cannot connect to Wi-Fi when it is already connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth. Bluetooth is the most power-efficient method of connection for your devices and Apple recommends keeping it permanently enabled on your iPhone.

A compatible Wi-Fi network is an 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network that your iPhone has connected to before whilst your Apple Watch was connected to the iPhone via Bluetooth. Apple Watch cannot connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi networks or to public networks that require logins, subscriptions or profiles.

To check whether your Apple Watch can connect to Wi-Fi as a fallback:

If your Apple Watch does not connect to Wi-Fi as expected (after allowing a few moments), then follow these steps:

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Check your Wi-Fi router / access point settings, including for any access controls that may have been enabled:

If you are using a third-party security-related app on your iPhone and Apple Watch, then it may help to remove it.

• This has resolved issues for others with their Apple Watch not connecting to Wi-Fi as expected.

Ensure that your Apple Watch and iPhone are connected via Bluetooth and also that your iPhone is connected to your Wi-Fi network:

On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Wi-Fi:

• Tap on the "i" / info icon to the right of your Wi-Fi network name > tap on Forget This Network.
  • With your Apple Watch still connected via Bluetooth, reconnect your iPhone to your Wi-Fi network, being sure to check that you are connecting to an 802.11b/g/n 2.4 GHz network.
  • Pause for a few moments to allow the Wi-Fi information to be shared to your Apple Watch.

On your iPhone, enable Airplane Mode:

Check whether your Apple Watch has successfully connected to the Wi-Fi network by checking for the Wi-Fi icon at the upper-left of Control Centre (allow a short while for it to connect after losing the connection with your iPhone):

When finished, turn off Airplane Mode on your iPhone.

If you have not yet done so and if the feature is supported on your plan, you may also wish to enable Wi-Fi Calling on your devices:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

can series 3 apple watch, gps only, connect to wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.