Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot sign into iMessage on my Mac

Hi,

So I cannot log into iMessage on my MacBook Air.

My Apple ID is fine, I can log into iCloud and other services without problems but it is refusing to let me log into iMessage. I am doing the correct password and the correct email address, yet it always gives me a message like
this:

User uploaded file

I can't figure out how to fix it.

Help?

Thanks,
Keegan

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 7:52 PM

Ok, let's try something a little more technical (sorry, I don't know your level of experience). We're going to delete the Messages preference file that contains any previous account info.

1) Completely closing out Messages (either by Cmd + Q or up by the Apple menu click Messages > Quit Messages.

2) Open up Finder and browse to your home folder (where you see Downloads, Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. and right-click in that white area and select "Show View Options." Check the box that says, "Show Library Folder" and then click the little red x to close out that small window. Now you should see a Library folder. Double-click on that to open it.

3) Look for a folder called "Preferences" and open it.

4) Browse for a file very specifically called "com.apple.imservice.ids.iMessage.plist"

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Right-click on this and select "Move to Trash."

5) Close out this Finder window and then empty your trash.

6) Reopen Messages and try your credentials again.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 7:52 PM in response to nageek

Ok, let's try something a little more technical (sorry, I don't know your level of experience). We're going to delete the Messages preference file that contains any previous account info.

1) Completely closing out Messages (either by Cmd + Q or up by the Apple menu click Messages > Quit Messages.

2) Open up Finder and browse to your home folder (where you see Downloads, Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. and right-click in that white area and select "Show View Options." Check the box that says, "Show Library Folder" and then click the little red x to close out that small window. Now you should see a Library folder. Double-click on that to open it.

3) Look for a folder called "Preferences" and open it.

4) Browse for a file very specifically called "com.apple.imservice.ids.iMessage.plist"

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Right-click on this and select "Move to Trash."

5) Close out this Finder window and then empty your trash.

6) Reopen Messages and try your credentials again.

Feb 28, 2018 8:30 PM in response to nageek

Messages – Can’t log in

Messages – Can’t log in 2

Messages - If you can‘t sign in to your iMessage account or FaceTime on your Mac

Message activation error

Have someone else attempt to sign in using their Apple ID. If they can successfully sign in and use Messages/FaceTime, it may be your Apple ID.Someone I know had this happen and I was able to sign in usingmy Apple ID. After a call to Apple Support and then being elevated to a tier 2 support person, it turned out it was a problem with their Apple ID. It took the software engineers 3-4 days to fix the problem. When calling Apple, make sure you tell them it is an Apple ID problem so you don't get charged.

There is a contact link.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2)

Apple Support by e-mail or chat Select your device, Battery, Power and Charging, then Power adapter not working to get a chat option.

Feb 28, 2018 8:31 PM in response to nageek

Ok. This sounds like an issue with either the iCloud accounts or something on the network. If both of you are able to log in to your accounts on iCloud.com in the web browser and access your calendar, email, Pages, etc. but just Messages and FaceTime don't work then it's unfortunately one of those two things as best as I can guess.

I would do two things: 1) Check with the iCloud Family account administrator (if that's not you) and see what they know. 2) Contact Apple ID Support for help with your accounts. Apple ID - Official Apple Support

Please post an update on what you find out here as I would like to know.

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2018 7:17 PM in response to nageek

Ok. When things like this happen, it sometimes helps to be super particular. If you go to System Preferences > iCloud and look at the email address under the account name and then be sure it's the exact same as the one you use to sign in on the web (or copy/paste the email address you are using on the web). Then carefully type in that email address in the User Name field of Messages Accounts. If the password comes back incorrect in Messages, it sometimes helps to sign out on the web and sign back in typing your password.

Also, are you the only user on this Mac?

Feb 28, 2018 8:11 PM in response to nageek

Wondering if there's something on the network that is blocking traffic for Messages/FaceTime? Assuming you are back at your home and on the same network and nothing to your knowledge has changed since your trip. Since both typically use your iCloud account, I wonder if other iCloud services are working? So... if under System Preferences > iCloud, you have Calendars selected, when you open iCal/Calendar, are your entries syncing up?

Also, if you haven't already tried it, go to Applications > Utilities and open up Console. Select "system.log" on the left and see what scrolls as you do things. You might want to completely close out of Messages and FaceTime before opening this to see if anything is triggered. And then try credentials again and see if anything shows up in Console when you get the error?

I cannot sign into iMessage on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.