Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer just got hacked, what can I do?

Like seriously can't believe I did it. My computer froze with a service number tab for apple on it. And I called it. I want to make sure my laptop is still safe or check what might of happened. I made sure my firewall was on and now I'm updating the software. What else needs to be done?

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 8:26 PM

3 replies

Mar 7, 2018 9:10 PM in response to Dohtes

Clear your internet browser cache to ensure no malicious data is in your browser. If you're using Safari, open Safari preferences, then choose Privacy. Click on Manage Website Data, then click Clear All.

Check if System Integrity Protection is enabled. It's an important protection for your Mac that prevents anyone from modifying critical system files. Even though hackers can't modify this protection without first restarting your Mac and booting the hidden Recovery partition, it's a good idea to make sure this protection is enabled. Open Terminal and execute csrutil status. If you see the text "System Integrity Protection status: enabled" and it doesn't say "Custom Configuration" then you're good to go.

If the hackers directed you to go to any sites or were able to remotely control your Mac, you may want to consider downloading Malwarebytes. It's a free antivirus application that will scan your Mac for any malware that could have been installed by the hackers. Download it here: Malwarebytes | Free Cyber Security & Anti-Malware Software

You may also want to check your Applications folder. Verify that there aren't any suspicious applications, and if there are, move them to the trash.

Hope this helps!

Computer just got hacked, what can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.