Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus Scam?

Listen y'all, there was buzz going around, that scammers are able to trick people into downloading viruses into their devices. I personally have gotten messages letting me know that I've gotten 3 viruses, I ignored it at first, but then it kept coming up, but only as 3. I had asked one of my friends about it, and we decided to dig a little deeper. There are a lot of people in the area that had been informed that they had 3 viruses in their devices. I really need to know if this is a scam or not... People also say that MacKeeper is also a scam. Even if it wasn't my family really cannot afford to get it fixed. Last time we got a laptop fixed, it was almost 700 dollars. We don't have that type of money. So can someone please tell me if I need to be worried about the viruses? I'm sure I should be, but I don't know.

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 7:13 AM

Messages that you have a virus are invariably scams. A genuine message from Apple will always address you by your name or the name they know you by … and come from an address that ends @apple.com.

Never respond to a mail that does not meet both of the conditions above or indeed, that you feel suspicious about. Send a copy of the email (as an attachment) to Apple at …. Reportphishing@apple.com

MacKeeper is a scam in itself. You do not need to download any anti-virus aids for a Mac. The only problem areas are Malware and Adware, both of which can usually be easily removed. And can just as easily be avoided if you browse wisely.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 7:13 AM in response to Anonymous__User

Messages that you have a virus are invariably scams. A genuine message from Apple will always address you by your name or the name they know you by … and come from an address that ends @apple.com.

Never respond to a mail that does not meet both of the conditions above or indeed, that you feel suspicious about. Send a copy of the email (as an attachment) to Apple at …. Reportphishing@apple.com

MacKeeper is a scam in itself. You do not need to download any anti-virus aids for a Mac. The only problem areas are Malware and Adware, both of which can usually be easily removed. And can just as easily be avoided if you browse wisely.

Virus Scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.