Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can no longer play DVDs by inserting them into my MacBook. What have you done?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009)My shift locks and I am having trouble playing DVDs since there was a Java Upgrade. Can you help me, or do I need a different, cheaper solution like having Best Buy install a Blu-ray player. I think my computer may have taken on something over time that I can not be satisfied with what was once a blissful experience.

Mac OS X (10.1.x), Safari , iCloud?

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 8:16 AM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2018 8:26 AM in response to Music908

"Shift locks". If the shift key is locking up on a 9 year old computer that is just wear-and-tear. If it isn't just dirt around the key causing it to stick you could perhaps use an external keyboard. Of course it could be nothing to do with the shift key and just your caps lock is on.

What "trouble"? Again, on a computer that old it would not be at all unusual for the optical drive to be failing. If you have an external drive to do testing this would be easy to determine. I don't know how a Java upgrade would affect an optical drive. If the drive is bad you can either buy an external one or replace the internal one. You can replace it yourself, but my preference when this happened to me was to buy an external drive.Having an external drive means when you buy a newer Mac which no longer comes with optical drives you can just use it there too.

I can no longer play DVDs by inserting them into my MacBook. What have you done?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.