Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can play only one dvd on my brand new MacBook Pro

The DVD Player app on MacBook Pro launches but the movie does not come onto the constantly black Viewer screen. But I can still watch one specific DVD. All others are this black screen. It seems like something happened Friday when this movie (Ingmar Bergman's Seventh Seal) loaded. Since watching that DVD, no other DVD is watchable, only Seventh Seal.

Can anyone tell me how to correct this problem?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 9:16 AM

boeufbourgignon wrote:

Here's a strange twist: I just discovered that all the DVDs made in Korea (and so region 0) still work. But those from the US still don't any longer.

DVD drives will permanently lock to a region: Change your DVD drive region in DVD Player on Mac - Apple Support

11 replies

Nov 24, 2021 10:07 AM in response to MrHoffman

To test what region my drive is currently set at I intentionally put a dvd region 2 into the external dvd drive. For the first time I got a pop up box warning me that I’m currently region 1 and asking if I really want to switch to region 2.

So I’m definitely region 1 still. That doesn’t appear to be the problem. And I had been playing these region 0 DVDs on my old MacBook Pro for the last year without any problems.

I can play only one dvd on my brand new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.