Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud contacts suddenly have no detail on my Mac

I use iCloud to sync contacts on my Mac Mini running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3, my iPhone X running iOS 11.2.6, and my 9.7" iPad Pro running iOS 11.2.6. Haven't had any trouble to speak of until today.

This morning, when I booted up my Mac for the first time after activating my new iPhone X and turning on iCloud, suddenly none of my iCloud contacts have associated cards when viewed on my Mac. Let me repeat that: the contacts still appear to be there -- i.e., when I click "iCloud" in the Mac's Contacts app, all of my contacts' names are visible -- but when I click each of them, there's no card. No data whatsoever in fact. Because of this, the Messages app now just lists everyone by phone number. It's as if the contacts database suddenly became corrupted -- only on my Mac.

Yes, I've clicked the contacts checkbox off and on again.

Yes, I've logged out of iCloud and back in.

Yes, I've rebooted.

And yes, my contacts appear to be completely unaffected on my iOS devices and in the cloud.

What's the next thing I should try? Is there some kind of secret force sync that's more powerful than just logging out and in? Or is there a Mac cache file that simply logging out doesn't scrub?

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Late 2014 Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz/8GB RAM

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 10:43 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 8, 2018 1:32 PM in response to Eric Westby

Bumping this since it's been a week. Has anyone seen a symptom similar to this? My full iCloud contact list is visible on all my devices, but when viewed on my Mac there is no information attached to any contact -- no cards at all, so no phone numbers, email addresses, nothing -- rendering it totally useless.

The versions on my iPhone and iPad are working fine as always.

Mar 11, 2018 7:03 AM in response to liv0123

Thanks for your reply, though as you may have surmised, that was among the first pages I visited. What I find interesting and frustrating is that in the macOS-specific section, all of the suggestions are for problems with calendar items, not contacts. As far as I can see, there's not a single recommendation as to troubleshooting when contacts are missing. 😟

And unfortunately the problem is as bad as ever. I'd take my Mac into a Genius Bar, except it's a Mac Mini, not a laptop.

iCloud contacts suddenly have no detail on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.