Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I keep music in my library but not on my phone?

i want to increase my storage and lessen the amount of music (3.57gb) on my phone but not lose it in my library. How do I do that?

Thank you.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 11:43 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 2, 2018 6:29 AM in response to mmoly

Hello mmoly,

It looks like you are wanting to increase the amount of free storage space you have available on the iPhone all while keeping your music library intact. I'll be happy to provide some information on this. It sounds like you have an Apple Music subscription. If so, what you can do is turn off iCloud Music Library on your iPhone. That will remove the songs from your iPhone, but you will still have them in your iTunes library on other devices.

Settings > Music > iCloud Music Library - tap to turn off.

Or, you can optimize storage to have it automatically remove songs from your iPhone that you haven't listened to for awhile.

If you're an Apple Music member or subscribe to iTunes Match, your music and video content is stored in iCloud Music Library. When you delete an item from iCloud Music Library, it also deletes from any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that uses iCloud Music Library with the same Apple ID. After you delete an item from iCloud Music Library, you can't recover it. If you want to add the item back to your library, download it again.
If you see a download icon User uploaded file next to content that you purchased from the iTunes Store, the item is stored in iCloud Music Library, not on your device. If you delete content from iCloud Music Library that you purchased from the iTunes Store, the item hides. If you want to add a purchased item back to your library, you can unhide it. Learn more about hidden purchases.
If you bought the content that you want to delete from the iTunes Store and didn't download it as part of your Apple Music membership or iTunes Match subscription, learn how to delete content from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Save space on your device

You can save space on your iOS device and automatically remove downloaded songs that you haven’t listened to recently.

1. Tap Settings > Music > Optimize Storage.
  2. Turn on Optimize Storage.
User uploaded file

Delete songs and videos from your iCloud Music Library

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Have a wonderful day!

How do I keep music in my library but not on my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.