Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No chart transparency in Numbers!

I'm trying to create a transparent background to a chart so I can superimpose it over another chart and/or numbers in the Numbers sheet. At the moment, no matter what I do, the background is not transparent. I've selected the chart, set "Background & Border Style" to none and it is still a white background (not transparent).

interestingly, even when I select a colored background, and then make it 100% transparent in the color selector, it is still white and blocks out whatever is behind it.

Did I discover a bug?

I'm on Numbers 3.6.1 on El Capitan

-JP

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 5:29 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 2, 2018 10:13 AM in response to macguyincali

Also, if I copy and paste it into Keynote, the chart formatting is preserved (and the transparency is still not functioning). Interestingly, if I change the chart style to a default style (in the Chart Styles selection panel). Then the transparency returns but with a complete different chart style.

So something about the original charts I created makes it impossible to make the background transparent. My workaround is to select a new Chart style (that does have transparency in the background) and then painstakingly adjusted it to look like my original chart. Transparency is preserved that way.

I'm still stumped, though. What would make a chart not be transparent?

Mar 2, 2018 5:59 PM in response to Badunit

That is correct. No Background Fill selected under the Chart tab. And the background appears solid white. The weird thing is that if I drag the chart over the table where the data is, the highlighting in the column that is the data source shows through the background, but the table itself, and the numbers don't. It is an unusual effect and must be a bug. I'll report it. Probably just some sort of glitch related to charts.

Mar 2, 2018 6:06 PM in response to macguyincali

What you are describing is what I see if I have a white chart background and have the chart overtop of the table and the chart is selected. The highlighted box that indicates where the data is in the table shows through but not the table or the data. As soon as I deselect the chart, it goes back to having a normal white background. All other backgrounds do the same kind of thing.

No chart transparency in Numbers!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.