Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Board Upgrade

I have a MacBookPro9,1 MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012). I love this machine, even more so than the newer MacBooks.

I'm considering buying a logic board or two as a backup from eBay. What should I be looking for in terms of finding a compatible logic board? And is it possible a later model logic board will work with my machine?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), null

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 2:15 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Mar 1, 2018 2:25 PM in response to amateur.chemist

First, you should only replace the logic board with the same version that came with your notebook. Second, you need to understand eBay's return/refund policy should the logic board not work. Finally, to get an idea on what it would take to replace the board, take a look at this iFixIt article:

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2012 Logic Board Replacement - iFixIt

Mar 1, 2018 2:41 PM in response to amateur.chemist

Your model is known to you. Ask sellers from what model the board was taken. In addition to your model's ID is the catalog model - A1286. You have a 15" model, so you can't use a board from the 13" model of the same period.

It's not a good idea to buy such parts on eBay if you don't know exactly what to look for or ask about. If you want reliable results then buy from a reliable parts dealer if you can find one. You might try iFixIt.com. Or you can search on Google or Amazon. But stick to resellers who offer some sort of return policy.

Given the age of your computer, you may find the prices of a used model are less than the motherboards.

Mar 1, 2018 2:47 PM in response to Kappy

> Your model is known to you. Ask sellers from what model the board was taken. In addition to your model's ID is the catalog model - A1286. You have a 15" model, so you can't use a board from the 13" model of the same period.

This is precisely why I asked this question. There appears to be the following:
* Serial Number (unique across all devices)

* Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1

* Model Name: MacBook Pro

* Catalog Model: A1286

* Model Description?: MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

* Identifying Numbers / Marks on the Logic Board itself

Which one or combination of these do I need to use to ensure a matching logic board?

Logic Board Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.