Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Go back to Iphone 8? help

ok guys i need to ask you all a thing about the iphone X, I just get my Iphone X, and i kinda like it, and i like face ID and the design, its nice but here is some thoungth that are so AgrRR, i wil be posting 2 screenshots , 95% of all the apps do this right now, i know its a problem from the 3rd part devs, and the deal is most of the 3rd part devs are really lazy and the only thing they dit is make a zoom option Then made it so it zoome and they dit not make it so it fits

if you go into iTunes and see a trailer.. the text fits and heads fits.. in you do full screen or not, but all 3 party apps don't understand this.. take a look.. I don't know if I want to back to an iPhone 8 of this..

and here is my question to you all.

do i wait for more software updates for iphone X ? or just return it?

take a look at this screenshot .. and here is the what if you are deaf and buy a iphone X? then you use 1000+$ on a thing that are useless

screenshoot 1 big bars at the side and its like a iphone 5.

User uploaded file

Screenshot 2.

User uploaded file

So what do you think is going to happed i been youtube all day.. and it seems people dont see a problem?

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 4:10 PM

12 replies

Mar 1, 2018 4:21 PM in response to Aztian

The iPhone X has a different aspect ratio than the iPhone 8. The iPhone 8 aspect ratio is 1:1.78, the iPhone X is 1:2.17

In your first image it is displaying the full resolution of 1:1.78. To expand to full screen it is necessary to either distort the image to fit the available screen real estate, which would make everything in the image unnaturally wide, or to crop the image to fit. You are dealing with limitations of optical physics.

Mar 1, 2018 5:00 PM in response to Aztian

If you don't understand what I posted there isn't much I can do to explain better. All HD videos have an aspect ratio of 16:9 (1.78:1, expanded). The iPhone X screen has an aspect ratio of 19.5:9. The screen is wider than a standard video. So to display a standard video on the wider screen it is displayed in the middle of the screen, with the difference appearing as black bars on the side. If you expand the image to be full width then you must cut off something at the top and/or bottom.

The other option is to expand the image only horizontally, this will make everything (such as faces) wider. I imagine some apps might do this, and if you are unobservant you may not notice the distortion.

Mar 1, 2018 5:05 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

tbh i understand what you saying .. but you dont understand what i saying even i my screen shots posted is all what u need to understand.. and it debunked you .. as i sad bad coding from 3rd partys so if i was deaf .. do you think its good to have a iphone x? cant go in full screen and see sub titls from 3rd partys..

and i not asking you to tell me how it works.. that was not about my post is about its.. about if people think its going to be fixed in time.. or i go back to a iphone 8 follow the red line plz

Mar 1, 2018 5:06 PM in response to Aztian

I give up. It is not bad coding, it is your failure to understand basic physics. Your screen shot one has bars all around, and if you measure carefully you will see the top and bottom bars are not the same width as the left and right. For screen shot 2 there is nothing to compare it to.

Something else you may not be considering is that some videos are wider than standard HD, just as some movies in theaters are. These will fill to the sides.

Mar 1, 2018 5:10 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

why are you even posting here then? u fail to understand what im saying.. plz just delete you posts and go some where and post .. i really dont care.. i post all logic about it ..

btw 2000 videos about this problem.. it sems u dont understand what people are saying.. 2000000 videos about this is problem.. i even talk to hbo nodtic and they say yes we working on the code to make it so .. so again you failed sir

Mar 1, 2018 6:33 PM in response to Aztian

You have been disrespectful to one of the most dedicated and knowledgeable members of this community. I must say that your limited knowledge of English makes it very hard to understand what you are asking. Since you are convinced that so many others have the problem, you should go directly to Apple. You can find links at the bottom of this and all other pages of this forum. But do not be rude to someone who was using his time and energy to try to help you.

Go back to Iphone 8? help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.