Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best alternative for Pages?

In lieu of Pages, what is the best alternative out there?

I've read many bad reviews about Microsoft Word for mac.

I need a reliable writing tool.

Thanks in advance.

R.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), null

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 3:35 PM

23 replies

Mar 1, 2018 3:46 PM in response to FoxFifth

Good call on the extra info. Here it is:

I'm a writer.

I produce drafts ranging in volume from one page to several hundred pages.

I need the usual word processing functions, and I need to also be able to submit the drafts in a format that's compatible with my clients, most of whom are default Word users. I also have to be able to convert to PDF.

Thus far, I've been working from Pages, and converting the drafts to one of those two before sending. However, Pages has been corrupting my files as of late, and I need either a solution to the pages issue (I have a separate discussions thread on that), or I need an alternative.

Mar 3, 2018 1:39 PM in response to rachel422

rachel422 wrote:

I need the usual word processing functions… I also have to be able to convert to PDF.

What do you consider "the usual word processing functions"?

By definition that would be type on the keyboard and have editable letters appear on the screen.

All Mac software prints to PDF, it is part of the Print dialog.

Have a look at Nisus Writer Express and Pro.

Scrivener, Ulysses and Storyist are word processors with specific features for writers and worth checking out.

Peter

Mar 3, 2018 3:43 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Ulysses has transitioned to a subscription model.

The real acid test for Rachel is MS Word content conformity during document interchange with other Word users. She must be able to receive, process, and return document content that conforms to the expectations of those who share Word documents with her. Many of the word processing applications that we eagerly name drop in these threads may struggle, if not outright fail in this document conformity mission.

I for one, am not interesting in creating more work, or anxiety for Rachel. In the end, she must choose the best application for her learning curve, and workflow requirements.

Mar 4, 2018 5:40 AM in response to VikingOSX

Yes I read that Viking but I'm not going to make decisions on behalf of the O.P. She hasn't told us enough to advise what is best.

If that bothers her she can reject Ulysses.

Nisus Writer basically works in RTF as well, but it has features which may make that irrelevant.

The trouble with measuring everything with a MsWord ruler is that means you are stuck with MsWord and the Mac version of that still falls short of the Windows version.

If everything is a Macdonald's cheeseburger you will suffer the consequences and so will everyone else from the trail of rubbish you produce.

Writing has a purpose beyond what tools you use to create it.

Peter

Mar 4, 2018 5:38 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

I appreciate all the input and suggestions. This experience has nudged me out of my bubble. I'm going to take advantage of a few free trials, and do some testing and comparing over the next couple of months. I'll have a new and improved system before my next "big" project starts.

However, I do feel that if the ongoing Pages failures are a known issue with Apple, they should do something about it.

Thanks, all.

R.

Best alternative for Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.