Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change a case-sensitive to case-insensitive volume on a new iMac? I can't install photoshop on this computer and I just bought it!

I just bought an iMac 5K Retina with 2TB in order to work with Adobe Premier Pro... Have no information yet, but when I tried to install adobe photoshop it showed that problem... How can I change it to case-insensitive format? The reason I bought this computer is to download the Adobe Suite....

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 10.3.3, Its iOS 10.13.3 -- its not on list

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 8:21 PM

That's interesting as it normally isn't. Here is a screenshot of mine in Disk Utility and it shows the usual format which is not case sensitive:

User uploaded file

First, check in Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). If it is case sensitive, then use recovery to boot into Apple's servers (since you need to be booted from something other than the boot disk in order to erase it).

Here are the various ways of using recovery:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

So, use recovery, then use that Disk Utility to reformat and erase the disk. When finished, reinstall Mac OS.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 8:21 PM in response to MMZavala

That's interesting as it normally isn't. Here is a screenshot of mine in Disk Utility and it shows the usual format which is not case sensitive:

User uploaded file

First, check in Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility). If it is case sensitive, then use recovery to boot into Apple's servers (since you need to be booted from something other than the boot disk in order to erase it).

Here are the various ways of using recovery:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

So, use recovery, then use that Disk Utility to reformat and erase the disk. When finished, reinstall Mac OS.

Mar 1, 2018 7:12 PM in response to MMZavala

Well, I checked the system requirements and it states that it cannot be installed on a case sensitive file system.

Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements

Mac OS is usually NOT case sensitive - you'd need to check in Disk Utility to see what yours is. If you do need to change that, you'd need to use recovery to use Disk Utility to change it which means you need to erase your disk and then reformat and reinstall the OS.

How can I change a case-sensitive to case-insensitive volume on a new iMac? I can't install photoshop on this computer and I just bought it!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.