Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation error while creating a pair with the iPhone

Hi.

Get an Activation error while creating a pair with the iPhone.

Activation Error

Activation request could not be completed. Press

the home button to try again. If the problem persists,

please contact customer care.

Apple watch Series 2 Nike Edition 42mm, iPhone 7 iOS 11.3.

Get the same error on the another same watches and with iPhone 6 iOS 11.2.6 the same thing happens.

Apple Watch Series 2, Other OS, iPhone 7 iOS 11.3

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 10:37 PM

I tried everything I could, lots of options and combinations.

Yes, I bought them on eBay as well as another one Nike Sport Edition.

At the moment I have two identical watches with the same problem. Both need to be updated in the process of creating the pair and both produce an Activation error. As it turned out later, one iCloud locked and another iCloud OFF. I think could the sellers not properly break the pair or remove them from their iCloud account? And what can I do if this really true?

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2018 10:37 PM in response to chuck_3rd

I tried everything I could, lots of options and combinations.

Yes, I bought them on eBay as well as another one Nike Sport Edition.

At the moment I have two identical watches with the same problem. Both need to be updated in the process of creating the pair and both produce an Activation error. As it turned out later, one iCloud locked and another iCloud OFF. I think could the sellers not properly break the pair or remove them from their iCloud account? And what can I do if this really true?

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Mar 2, 2018 8:16 PM in response to michaelfromcherkasy

Hey, Michael,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post I understand that you are having trouble activating separate Apple Watches with a specific iPhone device. When you try you get an error. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you've described, I would recommend the following steps from Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support :

If you can't set up your Apple Watch or you get an error message

1. Make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of iOS.
  2. Turn off your iPhone and turn it back on.
  3. Turn off your Apple Watch and turn it back on.

Have a great day!

Mar 4, 2018 10:13 AM in response to michaelfromcherkasy

dear michael

i also have the problem before my watch was connected to iphone 7 plus now i purchased iphone x when i tried to connect to the new phone i needed to unpair from the old, so now neither it connects the new one nor the old one, the watch is useless 😕 😕 😕 😕. i tried to restart watch , restart phones, tried to activate from the old backup all useless.

please ping me if you find any solution.

Apr 11, 2018 7:37 PM in response to michaelfromcherkasy

Similar issue for me.

I usually had my apple watch 2 (ios3.1) and my iphone 7 (ios10.1.1) working for more than a year.. no issues

I was going to sell it and I did:

1- Unpaired in the iphone using the apple watch app, no problem

2- Login appleid.apple.com and deleted the apple watch from my listed devices

3- I went to pair it to the new phone and just ask to Update the apple watch, and begins and then:

ACTIVATION ERROR

please contact customer care.

4- I tried then to pair it again with my iphone 7 (the one i used for a year) and nothing... it gave me two options:

.Restore backup or Setup as new apple watch; I tried both several times both and again:

ACTIVATION ERROR

please contact customer care

5- I went to next apple store and they made me update my iphone 7 to the ios11.3, then tried again to pair it and asked me now to Update the apple watch, and again the same ACTIVATION ERROR

6- I have already deleted the watch in 2- (appleid.apple.com) and confirm and the apple watch was not there...

7- Just in case went to icloud.com and in settings/ find iphone and found the apple watch!! that is weird, anyway I select Delete from account and i checked later again and is gone.

8- Restart my iphone 7 and also my apple watch.. same error; also tried the hard reset in the apple watch (pressing crown and button for 10 seconds) and same error trying to pair

I cant believe this happens.. really disappointed with this device.

Appreciate if someone gives me clue how to solve this

May 19, 2018 3:52 AM in response to michaelfromcherkasy

I have exactly the same problem. I’ve a Apple Watch 2 and didn’t use for long time. When I take it out and pair with my new iPhone, it always said system version too low. When I ipgrade it, the activation error.

The stupid suggestions ask me to reset it. How could I don’t know reset?

I go to apple store Genius Bar and they ask me to pay 250 USD to get repair.

I want to sue apple!!

Apple “stolen” my Apple Watch via a system upgrade.

I have the right to use my Apple Watch to watch time what ever it is out of warranty or not!!!

I’m angry about this stupid problem. It is cuased by the ridiculous system upgrading policy!!!

Activation error while creating a pair with the iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.