Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I keep USB ports active in sleep mode (MacBook Air High Sierra 10.13.3)

Back up hard drive powered by USB port loses power when I close the lid. Not at first but after some brief time. Power to hard drive is not supposed to be shut off without first ejecting it.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 11:11 AM

I find that normally when closing the lid with an external USB drive connected that the external drive is powered down prior to when power is disabled for the port. This is all handled internally. When the lid is opened and the computer is awakened the external drive is simply auto-mounted as the port becomes active.

Energy Saver preferences has an option to put drives to sleep when idle but that does not affect what you are describing.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2018 11:11 AM in response to simbahunter

I find that normally when closing the lid with an external USB drive connected that the external drive is powered down prior to when power is disabled for the port. This is all handled internally. When the lid is opened and the computer is awakened the external drive is simply auto-mounted as the port becomes active.

Energy Saver preferences has an option to put drives to sleep when idle but that does not affect what you are describing.

How do I keep USB ports active in sleep mode (MacBook Air High Sierra 10.13.3)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.