Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Ask to Join Network the same as Auto Join?

Is the Ask to Join Function the same as the Auto Join function for WiFi? Where do I find the Auto Join function on a iphone 6 and iphone 8.

My understanding is that by shutting off Auto Join I can avoid having my phone link to hackers networks that could steal my data.

iPhone 8

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 8:59 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 3, 2018 12:08 PM in response to OldeSalt

My understanding is that by shutting off Auto Join I can avoid having my phone link to hackers networks that could steal my data.

Auto join does not connect you to new networks.

It joins networks you have chosen to connect to previously. You are not at risk of joining new or random networks without your consent.

User uploaded file

Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Mar 3, 2018 11:49 AM in response to OldeSalt

Hello OldeSalt,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you would like to know if the Ask to Join feature is the same as the auto join feature. The Ask to join networks feature notifies you when a Wi-Fi network is available. If you have previously connected to a Wi-Fi network then it will automatically join that network.

Connect to the Internet - iPhone User Guide

Ask to join networks: Turn on Ask to Join Networks to be notified when a Wi-Fi network is available. Otherwise, you must manually join a network when a previously used network isn’t available.

Best Regards.

Is Ask to Join Network the same as Auto Join?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.