Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Notes" keeps crashing

My application Apple Notes keeps crashing, after I attempt to open it. Have tried restarting and restarting in Safe Boot. Any ideas about how to repair or fix this?? Running High Sierra 10.13.3

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.0.x), Mac OS 10.13.3

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 10:27 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 16, 2018 5:25 AM in response to Paul Cohen1

I have this problem too. I have around 2885 notes in the app. I have tried everything. On my Mac I recently did a clean boot of High Sierra. On my phone and iPad I switched off notes.app and reinstalled new apps from the store. Then, I switched it on in iCloud. Same problem. When I start writing a new note on my iPad, notes gets stuck and you have to wait for around 30 seconds. When I keep typing, then after the around 30 sec, the keyboard on the screen starts flickering the keys I have touched in a rapid pace while putting the characters on the screen in the app. With a bit of luck the app keeps up and running. Sometimes it crashes.

I liked the app a lot and used it for years for note taking during meetings. I am fine with only characters. Then Apple started adding features, started adding syncing across the devices, and all that stuff. Nice, but now something is wrong for quit a while. No feed back from Apple whatsoever. Unfortunately, the notes.app became useless for me. I have to look for another notes taking app.

Regards, Bart

Mar 16, 2018 10:38 AM in response to Paul Cohen1

Rebooting solved the launch problem of the notes.app. Then, as a next step, I found a beautiful tool to read your notes, extract text (I don't have anything else mostly) and put them in a folder structure using the date and time from the original notes. The app is called exporter.app. Very simple, I recommend Apple to build such a straight forward exporter in notes. I have removed around 2500 notes from the notes.app. Now everything seems to be fine. No delays and crashes so far. Ready to use. I guess notes.app cannot handle the thousands of notes I had stored there over the years. Actually the syncing of the iCloud server and Web application, iPhone, iPad and Macbook is also rather slow.

Bart

"Notes" keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.