Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is Avast ok on my mac

I had Avast installed on my mac every once in a while I get these pop ups that tell me a virus "malware" has been blocked.

I read on a site that no antivirus is needed on a mac.

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 5:21 PM

5 replies

Mar 2, 2018 5:41 PM in response to josephfromsanta clarita

Something that doesn't exist can't be blocked. A virus is self-propagating software. It requires no user interaction to spread. These have yet to exist in any form in OS X/macOS. Every type of potential malware out there are Trojans. Something the user has to knowingly, or unknowingly install. It can't get on your Mac on its own.

Avast, and any other such software is a complete waste of time and system resources. They can't block Trojans (of which all adware falls under the same type of installation category). The AV software can't know something is dangerous until you install it. And it's pretty useless to tell you the software is bad after the fact.

I have seen multiple topics on these forums where the user has two, or even three types of AV software on their barely-functioning Macs, and they're loaded with adware and other junk. That should give you an idea how pointless AV software is.

macOS has multiple layers of protection built-in to it. It needs no help protecting itself. If anything happens to get by Apple's defenses, it will get by third party junk, too.

is Avast ok on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.