Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Song details don't show in file explorer (Windows 10)

When I import in MP3 format using iTunes (I have 12.7.3.46) the song details show in Windows file explorer on Windows 10, but AIFF is a different story. It only shows the song title, the other fields (track number, genre, etc) are blank. These two screenshots show what I mean.User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

null-OTHER, Windows 10, Dell Inspiron

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 3, 2018 8:39 AM in response to Mountain Mike In response to Mountain Mike

This is a shortcoming of the Windows File Explorer. The metadata will be stored in the files but Explorer doesn't have an equivalent handler to read the tags and present the data in the way that it does for MP3 files. The issue has nothing to do with iTunes. Contact Microsoft to suggest improvements.

tt2

Mar 3, 2018 8:52 AM in response to Mountain Mike In response to Mountain Mike

The ID3 tag version fix only works for files in mp3 format. In practice it shouldn't matter whether or not the details are visible in Explorer as they captured and shown in suitable media players. .wav format is untagged making that format less suitable for moving between players or computers.

tt2

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Mar 3, 2018 8:39 AM in response to Mountain Mike In response to Mountain Mike

This is a shortcoming of the Windows File Explorer. The metadata will be stored in the files but Explorer doesn't have an equivalent handler to read the tags and present the data in the way that it does for MP3 files. The issue has nothing to do with iTunes. Contact Microsoft to suggest improvements.

tt2

Mar 3, 2018 8:39 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 3, 2018 8:39 AM in response to turingtest2 In response to turingtest2

I was afraid of that. I saw some posts about changing the ID3 tag version to an older version but I couldn't see in iTunes how to do that. I contacted Microsoft support and an agent whom I could barely understand with her thick Indian accent told me I had to contact Apple.

Mar 3, 2018 8:39 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 3, 2018 8:52 AM in response to Mountain Mike In response to Mountain Mike

The ID3 tag version fix only works for files in mp3 format. In practice it shouldn't matter whether or not the details are visible in Explorer as they captured and shown in suitable media players. .wav format is untagged making that format less suitable for moving between players or computers.

tt2

Mar 3, 2018 8:52 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: Mountain Mike

Question: Song details don't show in file explorer (Windows 10)