Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This computer has been scheduled to go to sleep automatically

I have suddenly started seeing this message on my iMac running macOS 10.13.3.

User uploaded file

I have seen it a few times and it feels related to when an iDrive backup finishes but I cannot be certain so I have asked iDrive just in case.

I do not recognise the icon on the message as being either Apple or iDrive so it is a bit odd.

No harm is being done but I'm curious. It could be happening a lot more and I'm just not noticing.

Energy Saver is set to sleep after 1 hour but I do not think this message is related to this, is it?

In the meantime I'd be grateful for any insight or suggestions.

Regards

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 1:13 AM

25 replies

Jun 1, 2018 10:31 PM in response to Eerk

@eerk I was already using v3.5.2.5 and with the Awake from sleep for backup option unticked I did not see the sleep message. I then ticked the Awake from sleep for backup option and I've started seeing the message again.

I've just updated to v3.5.2.7 so we will see if that improves anything.

I'm now convinced the problem is iDrive related but I am not wondering whether it is the interaction with other settings on the Mac that are causing the problem or possibly these settings in relation to the time that iDrive is scheduled to run. I've pasted my Energy Saver settings below for comparison.

User uploaded file

May 18, 2018 11:59 PM in response to iwaddo

All,

I posted the very same question again about a week ago and found this thread. Just as a year ago when trying to solve this issue, iDrive is mentioned. FYI: when asking this question a year ago I had a full check by Apple support (my Mac was brand new at the time) and they also definitely pointed to iDrive as the culprit.

Steps to the solution are simple: completely disable/remove iDrive, especially making sure the iDrive monitor is disabled. Restart your Mac en see if the problem is gone. It did for me. Yes, your backup is not running anymore, but I had a backup backup (Carbonite). I informed iDrive development at the time, but they were very unhelpful.

Only problem is now, that I had to abandon Carbonite for other reasons and switch on iDrive again: problem is back... so I'm interested in solutions found in the past year.

Regards, Eerk

P.S. see 'my' thread for additional info on my current question (the same as yours):MacBook 'scheduled to sleep' when it isn't

Mar 3, 2018 4:08 AM in response to iwaddo

The logo you see on the message is the standard icon to show a schedule has been set.

You System Preferences file may have become corrupt.

In Finder click Go in the menubar, click Go To Folder enter ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

press Go, a new Finder window will open with the file highlighted, move it to the Desktop. Restart your Mac, a new file will be generated, see if this removes the problem, if so you can delete the one on the Desktop. You may also have to go through your System Preferences and change any back to how you like to have your Mac set up.

What does your script do at 05:00hrs.

Mar 4, 2018 4:32 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Hi

I've not seen the message again since so have not replaced this plist and I'm not inclined to until I can reproduce the message. I do not fancy replacing the plist until I've listed all the preference changes I've made. I wonder if there there is a way of getting a list as this would make it easier to put them back manually.

The 05:00 script reviews and makes changes to actions in my OmniFocus application database. It was my understanding that a scheduled script would not wake up a sleeping Mac to run and the options were either to skip the event until the next time it came around or run the event the next time the mac is awake.

Thank you for your help

Mar 18, 2018 7:53 AM in response to David Kohl

Hi, no I have not but then I've not seen the message again.

My iDrive backup runs at 23:59 every evening and usually only takes a few minutes and at worse is finished by the morning.

The times I saw this message was when I was at my iMac when iDrive finished either after it had been run manually or when I was backing up the initial uploads which took a couple of weeks in blocks.

Sorry I cannot help further but please do post back if you find anything.

regards

Mar 18, 2018 7:58 AM in response to iwaddo

I think you're onto something with iDrive. I do run mine manually with some level of frequency. Can you do me a favor as a test? Please test the theory once more on your end with iDrive running manually? I'll make a point NOT to run mine manually. Let's compare notes. Then if we confirm its iDrive in manual mode, I'll take it to them.

THANKS.

May 11, 2018 12:59 PM in response to iwaddo

I am becoming increasingly convinced this message is related to iDrive.

I now see it most mornings, usually with a time remain of just less than 10 minutes, it as though the timer started, the Mac went to sleep then the timer restarted when I awake the Mac in the morning.

The other evening I happened to be up at 03:00, I touched the track pad and unlocked my iMac and the timer was on the screen and was counting down at just under 10 minutes.

Any thoughts appreciated

May 19, 2018 11:35 PM in response to Eerk

Hi

Thank you for posting and cross-referencing our posts, it sure looks like an drive induced issued to me.

I raised another ticket with iDrive yesterday and received the following response overnight, which I will try and see if the sleep message disappears.

We kindly request you to open the IDrive app and click on the settings tab and uncheck the option wake up from sleep mode.

What I am not clear about is how the backup will function if my iMac is asleep when the scheduled backup is due at 00:15 each morning. Only time will tell.

Regards, Ian

May 20, 2018 5:36 AM in response to iwaddo

Hi Ian,

Based on the iDrive response I re-enabled iDrive and checked the settings. Wake up from sleep mode was already switched off. Because I'm not sure that was due to my experimenting I will keep iDrive running and see what happens.

As to the question on running while asleep: depending on the rest of your settings the scheduled backup will start the moment your computer wakes up or it will skip the backup altogether. The latter is not good if it keeps postponing because of a nightly schedule. That's why I have set the backup time to lunch time.

Regards,

Eerk

May 27, 2018 1:12 PM in response to iwaddo

Solved!

I've been in contact with iDrive support and they pointed me to the latest update of their software (v3.5.2.5 as of this writing). I installed it and have had no sudden sleep messages since. I also switched the Awake from sleep for backup option back on. No problems so far (5 days in).

Jun 22, 2018 9:45 PM in response to iwaddo

Adding myself to this thread since I also use iDrive and have been seeing these messages for weeks, wondering what I was doing wrong. I've updated to version 3.5.2.11 (was using 3.5.2.0 when I came to check this thread) now and hope it will be sorted out now. If not I'll update this thread with my Energy Saver settings and iDrive settings, so we can continue to track it down.

This computer has been scheduled to go to sleep automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.