Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Randomly Shutting Off... Ticking? Can't Boot Up Without Crashing

Hey everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro 2012, and its been an amazing, solid computer up to this point. The computer is running Sierra. As of right now, the computer will randomly shut off completely. When I try to boot it up, it goes back to black screen without even reaching the apple logo loading screen. If I leave it plugged in, it will do this multiple times on its own, as well as produce an electronic ticking sound from the top right corner of the base. If I wait a while (Idk exactly how long) it will successfully boot up and I can log in. I have tried some basic stuff but nothings worked so far... please help me. I am very desperate, as I have thousands of dollars worth of software on the computer.

Mac auto-shutoff and auto-startup loop problem (also, ticking?) - YouTube

This is a video of whats happening. Right off the bat its doing the restart and shuts down... Near the end of the video at 0:58 or so you can hear the ticking.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), null

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 12:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 9:55 AM

I took it in and I am getting the HD replaced with a solid state. They’re gonna fix take out the old drive and make it acessable as an external drive. Gonna cost around 300 bucks but... I guess that’s it. Interestingly enough the guy I was talking to said he had a 2008 MacBook and he had replaced the battery and the HD once, and it was still going strong! So that gave me a bit of hope as well. Might need to replace some stuff, but Apple ( at least the older products) really do last. Thanks for the input man.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2018 9:55 AM in response to HAnilsen

I took it in and I am getting the HD replaced with a solid state. They’re gonna fix take out the old drive and make it acessable as an external drive. Gonna cost around 300 bucks but... I guess that’s it. Interestingly enough the guy I was talking to said he had a 2008 MacBook and he had replaced the battery and the HD once, and it was still going strong! So that gave me a bit of hope as well. Might need to replace some stuff, but Apple ( at least the older products) really do last. Thanks for the input man.

Mar 3, 2018 5:56 AM in response to Garrett2u

I don't see a lot of hope in actually fixing it. You can try to reset the SMC. Then the Mac is off, hold the Shift, Ctrl, Alt and Power keys down for 10 seconds. If that doesn't work, your Mac is on it's last legs. The problem is most likely the graphics chip, which is notorious for dying on these machines. I'd suggest giving Apple more of your money and buy a new Mac.

When it comes to your data, there are multiple options. Your model uses a standard SATA hard drive just like any other PC laptop. The hard drive can be removed and put into a hard drive enclosure like this. During the setup of your new Mac you can use Migration Assistant to transfer the files from the old drive.

MacBook Pro Randomly Shutting Off... Ticking? Can't Boot Up Without Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.