Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Friends receiving text messages I didn’t send?

I have an iPhone 6. Contacts have been receiving text messages from my number that I didn’t send. How could this happen and what should I do to stop it?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 5:00 AM

Someone is most likely spoofing your number and making it appear as though you sent it. It’s frightening how easy it is to do. There have even been cases where people have hacked into a person’s account even with 2FA enabled because they receive the authorization code as though it was you.

Cellular providers are trying to come up with a more secure messaging system to replace SMS. iMessage is more secure. One way they could tell if it was really you would be if they also use iMessage as it uses end-to-end encryption’s and if they receive a message from you it would be blue and not green.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 5:00 AM in response to tarenee

Someone is most likely spoofing your number and making it appear as though you sent it. It’s frightening how easy it is to do. There have even been cases where people have hacked into a person’s account even with 2FA enabled because they receive the authorization code as though it was you.

Cellular providers are trying to come up with a more secure messaging system to replace SMS. iMessage is more secure. One way they could tell if it was really you would be if they also use iMessage as it uses end-to-end encryption’s and if they receive a message from you it would be blue and not green.

Friends receiving text messages I didn’t send?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.