Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System spellchecker malfunction?

Hi,

I've just purchased Final Draft 10 screenwriting software to write my BA Creative Writing dissertation (screenplay, naturally) and spellchecking is not working in that software. Their techies tell me that FD10 (a reputable 'industry standard' software) invokes the OS software spellchecker for this function.

I have noticed that spellchecking has recently failed in my email system and in my browser, so I suspect they may be correct.

Question: Where is the spellchecker in OS X El Capitan? And what can I do to correct this, please?

This is desperate because my dissertation is due in weeks and I'll lose badly needed marks for misspelling.

With thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

Cheers

Oscar

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 3:51 AM

Greetings, crowbirdfromgbr!
Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having an issue checking spelling in Final Draft and I am happy to help out! Even though you are running El Capitan, I recommend taking a look at this article for macOS Sierra: Check spelling and grammar. This will give you the steps you can take to check and be sure your options to check spelling are set up properly.
Let me know the results and have a great day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 3:51 AM in response to crowbirdfromgbr

Greetings, crowbirdfromgbr!
Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having an issue checking spelling in Final Draft and I am happy to help out! Even though you are running El Capitan, I recommend taking a look at this article for macOS Sierra: Check spelling and grammar. This will give you the steps you can take to check and be sure your options to check spelling are set up properly.
Let me know the results and have a great day!

Mar 5, 2018 4:16 AM in response to MoonJ.

Hi MoonJ,

Thanks for your help. That information confirms that my OS spell checker is set up and working correctly.

I clearly need to look elsewhere for the source of apparent problems with Final Draft 10. I have been using Apple OS for a long time and I'm used to how similar programs behave under it, e.g., Scrivener, MS Word, CELTX, but FD10 seems to behave differently. Maybe it's just me and a learning curve thing? 🙂

Tell you what, though. A coincidence: I also had a concurrent spell checker problem with my Firefox browser – 58.0.2 (64-bit). After I found the solution to that [a language pack within the program] FD10 also seemed to respond more as expected. It seems illogical, but – as a purely academic question – is there any way you can think of that a spell check (or any other function for that matter) within a browser could affect the spell checker in the OS?

Don't waste time answering if that is (as I suspect) a fool question.

Thanks again, buddy.

System spellchecker malfunction?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.