Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone know what Promise.STEX is for?

I have just run KnockKnock and it says that I have a kext named Promise.STEX installed at

/Library/Extensions/PromiseSTEX.kext/Contents/MacOS/PromiseSTEX

Does anyone know what this is related to? A search seems to point towards some sort of 3rd party external drive or cloud service? I am not aware that I have installed either of these.

Thanks.

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), null

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2018 11:51 AM

As others have stated, this is a driver for Promise Technology RAID storage solutions. It is installed by macOS, presumably as a convenience should you ever plug one in. If you look in that folder, you'll see drivers for other RAID solutions as well. If one is not detected by the Mac, it is not loaded by the system. So, it's literally doing nothing, and safe to leave alone.

Conversely, because it's doing nothing, it's also just as safe to delete. It's the moral-equivalent of removing drivers for an old printer you don't have anymore.

Speaking purely for myself, I prefer to delete them, merely to have a nice clean system. Which also makes it easier to spot if something were to get inadvertently installed (i.e. malware, perhaps? Which of course is why you might've used [immensely useful] KnockKnock in the first place; to look for software that doesn't belong). Of course, Apple likes to periodically reinstall these drivers (after a major install / OS upgrade), so it requires checking / cleaning that folder after new updates.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2018 11:51 AM in response to Pete_B100

As others have stated, this is a driver for Promise Technology RAID storage solutions. It is installed by macOS, presumably as a convenience should you ever plug one in. If you look in that folder, you'll see drivers for other RAID solutions as well. If one is not detected by the Mac, it is not loaded by the system. So, it's literally doing nothing, and safe to leave alone.

Conversely, because it's doing nothing, it's also just as safe to delete. It's the moral-equivalent of removing drivers for an old printer you don't have anymore.

Speaking purely for myself, I prefer to delete them, merely to have a nice clean system. Which also makes it easier to spot if something were to get inadvertently installed (i.e. malware, perhaps? Which of course is why you might've used [immensely useful] KnockKnock in the first place; to look for software that doesn't belong). Of course, Apple likes to periodically reinstall these drivers (after a major install / OS upgrade), so it requires checking / cleaning that folder after new updates.

Does anyone know what Promise.STEX is for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.