Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adware/Malware on OSX 10.9.5/Safari 9.1.3

I get pop-up msgs that my system can't verify the identity of secure.adnx.com when visiting Linkedin and the same message about stags.bluekai.com when trying to visit the Wall St Journal's sites. How can I remove this malware? Suggestions for effective programs (other than Malwarebytes, with its outrageous and odious privacy-trashing policies), other fixes appreciated. Thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), not certain of exact OS version

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 5:14 AM

That is actually not a malware or adware issue. This problem is, unfortunately, normal with Mac OS X 10.9.

Recently, 10.9 systems began to have problems verifying certificates for certain sites. The bluekai.com sites, as well as the Oracle site (who owns bluekai.com), are among the affected sites.

We are not clear at this point what the cause of the problem is, but we have been able to confirm this behavior on a freshly-installed, clean 10.9 system.

Unfortunately, there are only two options available to you. One is to upgrade or downgrade your system. Mac OS X 10.10 and higher do not suffer from this problem, and strangely, for whatever reason, Mac OS X 10.8 is also not affected.

The other option is to stop using Safari and switch to Chrome or Firefox.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 5:14 AM in response to openleaf

That is actually not a malware or adware issue. This problem is, unfortunately, normal with Mac OS X 10.9.

Recently, 10.9 systems began to have problems verifying certificates for certain sites. The bluekai.com sites, as well as the Oracle site (who owns bluekai.com), are among the affected sites.

We are not clear at this point what the cause of the problem is, but we have been able to confirm this behavior on a freshly-installed, clean 10.9 system.

Unfortunately, there are only two options available to you. One is to upgrade or downgrade your system. Mac OS X 10.10 and higher do not suffer from this problem, and strangely, for whatever reason, Mac OS X 10.8 is also not affected.

The other option is to stop using Safari and switch to Chrome or Firefox.

Mar 3, 2018 10:01 PM in response to openleaf

Also consider a browser that sees some security update; the Safari

included with Mavericks 10.9.5 had seen some but none recently...

In my Mac running Mavericks 10.9.5, 'Firefox Quantum' browser is

a fair recent alternative old Safari 9.1.3; & still supports Mav 10.9.5.

How to download and install Firefox on Mac - Mozilla Firefox

Another idea would be upgrade to Mac OS X to El Capitan 10.11.6.

How to download OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Or if your mac can use it, you could still get Sierra 10.12.x .

How to download macOS Sierra - Apple Support

Either of these still see security updates; and my El Cap has gotten a

Safari update and security update this year. I've also Firefox in both...

While I have malwarebytes for mac and etrecheck in both 10.9.5 + 10.11.6

haven't seen nor had an acquaintance with any adware or malware so far.

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

Adware/Malware on OSX 10.9.5/Safari 9.1.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.