Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay icon on MacBook Pro

On a MacBook Pro, there is a AirPlay icon at the top of the screen. When you use that, is there a way to view just the video that is playing on the computer so it appears on my Apple TV? I don't want a screen mirroring effect when it displays the entire computer screen. I want just the video to appear on my TV. Is this possible?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 9:29 PM

Compatible (MP4?) embedded (Vimeo, YouTube, JW Player, …) video on web pages on Safari [sample] may have their own AirPlay icon, sending just that video to the Apple TV, full screen. Even if the web controller lacks this icon, sometimes you can Ctrl-click the video to ‘Enter Full Screen’ and get a different controller that has a working AirPlay icon. [And on certain sites the web controller suggests AirPlay availability, but doesn’t work (spinning loader on the tv).]

QuickTime Player also has its own AirPlay icon in the floating controller.

iTunes has its own AirPlay icon.

Non-Apple applications seem to be excluded, though.

So don’t use the upper-right menu bar icon if you want something different that mirroring or separate display. But use the other AirPlay icons elsewhere.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 9:29 PM in response to bendmitchell

Compatible (MP4?) embedded (Vimeo, YouTube, JW Player, …) video on web pages on Safari [sample] may have their own AirPlay icon, sending just that video to the Apple TV, full screen. Even if the web controller lacks this icon, sometimes you can Ctrl-click the video to ‘Enter Full Screen’ and get a different controller that has a working AirPlay icon. [And on certain sites the web controller suggests AirPlay availability, but doesn’t work (spinning loader on the tv).]

QuickTime Player also has its own AirPlay icon in the floating controller.

iTunes has its own AirPlay icon.

Non-Apple applications seem to be excluded, though.

So don’t use the upper-right menu bar icon if you want something different that mirroring or separate display. But use the other AirPlay icons elsewhere.

AirPlay icon on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.