Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Palm Rest Discoloration

Hello,

I am using a 13-inch MacBook Pro Retina (late '13). About three years ago, I started noticing small black dots on my MacBook's palm rest. The dots were not immediately conspicuous due to their size, but noticeable enough that I decided to use a palm rest protector. Today, I pealed off the palm rest on my MackBook, only to be greeted by the discolorations again.

I am curious to know what could have triggered the discolorations, what solutions there might be to prevent their growth, and what ways there might be to possibly remove them (although I doubt this would be possible with the skills of a layman). Thanks.

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 8:23 AM

Discoloration may be due to several things. Maybe stop using lotion on your hands. Maybe soap residue is causing the stain. Maybe you have dirty hands. Maybe stop using whatever it is that you are using to clean your computer.

Read what Apple has to say about palm rests: Do not use palm rest or keycap covers on a MacBook Pro with Retina display - Apple Support

Read what Apple has to say about cleaning your computer: How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 8:23 AM in response to Jake Tae

Discoloration may be due to several things. Maybe stop using lotion on your hands. Maybe soap residue is causing the stain. Maybe you have dirty hands. Maybe stop using whatever it is that you are using to clean your computer.

Read what Apple has to say about palm rests: Do not use palm rest or keycap covers on a MacBook Pro with Retina display - Apple Support

Read what Apple has to say about cleaning your computer: How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

Palm Rest Discoloration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.