Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Silver dots all over the screen on MacBook Pro which goes away on cleaning with microfibre

Hi I bought a MacBook Pro 14 2021 let week and today I noticed some silver dots (around 40 of them, picture attached) all over the screen. On rubbing with a microfibre, they seemed to go away. But I am curious as to why this was caused, I have read on other threads that the retina coating starts coming off.

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 10:49 PM

Look at this ▶︎ How to clean your Apple products. 

5 replies

Dec 28, 2021 7:45 AM in response to ku4hx

Hi thanks for replying. It gave me some relief to see ur comment ! Initially had I freaked out ! I will check for patterns...this particular one is more or less near the spot where i rest my lower palm while tying (and I do tend to have moderately sweaty palms).

PS: this was the thread I had come across initially https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6068947 my spots were quite similar but like a lot less ofcourse

Dec 28, 2021 6:56 AM in response to pkp93

If these don’t follow the pattern of the keyboard as mentioned above, then there are some other possibilities, including dust or other material in the local environment, food crumbs, or maybe insect activity.

What little is shown looks like small bits of plastic, but that’s far from certain. The larger crescent-shaped bit could easily be some cat claw, or donut glaze., or plastic.

Put a little differently, you’re going to have to look at what this debris is and isn’t, and whether it’s somehow coming out of the MacBook Pro, or maybe something that somehow blew past while using the Mac, or material that came off your hands and onto the keyboard and then transferred onto the display.

Silver dots all over the screen on MacBook Pro which goes away on cleaning with microfibre

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.