Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac bringing down network

i am having a strange issue

i have a late 2015 5k imac

issue: when imac is connected to the network via ethernet or wireless the network goes down

test: run ping test on another pc pinging google. as soon as imac is connected the ping rate goes from 40’s to 1000’s and after 15 seconds or so fails

same over ethernet and wireless

once the imac is disconnected, network works fine

tested at 2 different locations, same issue

reloaded via internet recovery. no issues while doing recovery, network was fine

about to start time machine restore,(it did not restore yet) got message itunes needs updated, as soon as imac started to download itunes network went down

can anyone help

Thanks

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 4:06 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 4, 2018 4:22 PM in response to AppleBhoy

Hi AppleBhoy,

I understand that when you connect your iMac to any network, the network stops working. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

You've done some great troubleshooting by testing this on other networks and watching the network latency. I recommend that you follow the steps in the article below to create a new network location to test this out, as it sounds like one or more of your settings may be causing a conflict with other devices on the network:

How to use network locations on your Mac - Apple Support

Let us know if this works out for you, and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

iMac bringing down network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.