Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple Hardware Test on my mid-2012 say it’s a Core i7?

It’s kind of minor, but the Hardware Profile (currently AHT Version 3A244 loaded from Internet Recovery) description has pretty much always described my hardware as the following:

Product details:

Macintosh name: MacBook Pro

Macintosh Model: MacBookPro9,2

CPU Type: Intel Core i7

Number of Cores: 2

It just seems kind of odd. I did set up a USB flash drive for AHT loaded from an image on the Apple website for my machine. That one comes up as AHT Version 3A237 and that lists the CPU type as “Dual-core Intel Core i5”.

However, every other version (including the one that was on my original hard drive) says that it's a Core i7 for whatever reason.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 13" mid-2012 Core i5 2.5 (SSD)

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 10:30 AM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2018 10:57 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Maybe because the two AHT versions are different.

I get that they're different. However, the default one (that was installed on my hard drive at the factory) has always been incorrect. And then the one loading from Internet Recovery is also incorrect. I figured with that one they would have at least corrected it.

I mean - "MacBookPro9,2" only refers to Core i5 models. The same vintage with a Core i7 should be "MacBookPro9,1".

Why does Apple Hardware Test on my mid-2012 say it’s a Core i7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.