Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Mac OS X Parental Controls Not Blocking Websites

I've set parental controls three times to block web sites. Then I start Safari and go to the web site and it loads without any issue. I go back into Parental Controls and the web sites that I added to be blocked are not listed.

It seems like Apple doesn't care at all about families and children anymore. Please advise.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.8Ghz i7 16GB 500GB

Posted on

Mar 5, 2018 1:51 PM in response to tomg15 In response to tomg15

Hello tomg15,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities and asking about parental controls. I am happy to look at this with you.

When you set up parental controls, you will be setting these controls up for the Managed Account. This article has the steps to assist you: macOS High Sierra - Set up parental controls

Once you change these settings, I recommend restarting the computer and logging back in to the managed account to verify they are working properly. Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Mar 5, 2018 1:51 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 1:57 PM in response to tomg15 In response to tomg15

Parental controls are associated with a specific account (managed user).

You set up the parental controls. Did you then log out of the administrative account you used to set up the controls, and log in as the managed user to test the restrictions? That was not clear from your post.

macOS Sierra: Set up parental controls

Mar 5, 2018 1:57 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: tomg15

Question: Mac OS X Parental Controls Not Blocking Websites