Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing files from Microsoft One Drive from a Mac

I just purchased a new MacBook Pro 15 Inch laptop. I've been a PC user for 36 years, and this is my first Mac. I copied a bunch of files to the Microsoft One Drive for which I have a subscription to Office 365. I want to be able to access these files so that I can format my external hard drive with the Mac file system instead of NTFS. I'm having trouble accessing these files.

iPhone SE, iOS 11.0.1, Connected to HP Laptop w/Windows 10

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 9:31 AM

2 replies

Mar 4, 2018 9:58 AM in response to 1944 Bug

Okay-welcome to the Mac support forums, 1944 Bug. We are all users here just like you, helping each other out. From what you’ve written here, you want to get your Microsoft One Drive working & playing nicely with your new Mac. Step one :backup your files on the OneDrive if there’s anything you want to save. If not: use either Time Machine ( looks like a little round clock at the top rightish of the screen) or Disk utility to re-format and erase the drive, unless you want to be able to access your files on it on both Mac and PC, if not, go ahead and erase/format it: should be MacOsJournaled and GUID should be on. Then you can use Time Machine to set the drive as a backup, and even when to backup, or turn it on or off. It will do that automatically. Like OneDrive, that capability is automatically built into the OS. However If you want to leave it as Windows-formatted, you could try ExFat. Macs will will deal with NTFS drives, but not for free. You’d have to buy some software to do that.

Good luck

John Brine

Mar 4, 2018 10:05 AM in response to 1944 Bug

You should be able to access them via a browser (e.g., Safari) by going to https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/ and clicking Sign In near the top right.

Also via Microsoft Word (if you are signed in via Word's "Word" menu) etc via the File menu open command and click "Online Locations" at the bottom left in the Open dialog (click Options at bottom left of the dialog if Online Locations isn't showing.

Microsoft also has a OneDrive app available in the Mac App Store (Apple menu > App Store and then search for OneDrive. I have not used the app.

Accessing files from Microsoft One Drive from a Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.