Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the 87 W adapter be used on both Air and Pro?

Are all 87 W adapters for USB-C made for both Air and Pro with USB-C? Or do you have to get the one that is specifically stated to be for the Pro for the Pro, and Air for the Air. What has been people's experience?

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 2:23 PM

a brody wrote:

I meant the vanilla MacBook with USB-C.

I don’t see why it won’t work. Apple is pretty good about compatibility. It’s just a voltage source, and the MacBook will self-limit incoming current. The only issue may be with efficiency, but I know a lot of people who prefer a more powerful supply thinking it might run cooler when it’s not operating near its peak power.

It says it right here:

Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook - Apple Support

You can use a compatible higher wattage adapter without issue, but it won't make your computer charge faster or operate differently.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 2:23 PM in response to a brody

a brody wrote:

I meant the vanilla MacBook with USB-C.

I don’t see why it won’t work. Apple is pretty good about compatibility. It’s just a voltage source, and the MacBook will self-limit incoming current. The only issue may be with efficiency, but I know a lot of people who prefer a more powerful supply thinking it might run cooler when it’s not operating near its peak power.

It says it right here:

Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook - Apple Support

You can use a compatible higher wattage adapter without issue, but it won't make your computer charge faster or operate differently.

Can the 87 W adapter be used on both Air and Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.