Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Photos" and stacked RAW+JPEG imported photos

Hello,

I would like to have a clear information on how getting both the JPEG and the RAW pics (splitted) once a RAW+JPEG file has been imported from a CANON EOS500D to "Photos". I have a Mac book Pro with El capitan 10.11.6. Under "image" in the menu, "retrait RAW" or use "Raw as the original" are grey (cannot be selected). The imported image has a badge labeled "J" although it shows a possible stack (RAW and JPEG ?). If I use "duplicate" in the menu I get only the duplicate pic with "J".

Thanks in advance for your answer

Patrick

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 2:28 PM

, "retrait RAW" or use "Raw as the original" are grey (cannot be selected).

You can switch between the RAW and the JPEG version in Edit mode. Duplicate the image with the "J" badge. click the duplicate to enlarge it and click edit. Now, in Edit mode, you can use the RAW controls "image > Use RAW as original" and have now both the RAW and the JPEG acessible. The duplicate should now be showing the "R" badge.

User uploaded file

The duplicate will not need much extra storage, because both versions will be sharing the same original files.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 2:28 PM in response to patrickfromnice

, "retrait RAW" or use "Raw as the original" are grey (cannot be selected).

You can switch between the RAW and the JPEG version in Edit mode. Duplicate the image with the "J" badge. click the duplicate to enlarge it and click edit. Now, in Edit mode, you can use the RAW controls "image > Use RAW as original" and have now both the RAW and the JPEG acessible. The duplicate should now be showing the "R" badge.

User uploaded file

The duplicate will not need much extra storage, because both versions will be sharing the same original files.

User uploaded file

Mar 4, 2018 11:22 PM in response to léonie

Thank you Léonie for your clear explanations. However in my french version of "Photos", when I go to Edit in the menu there is not "Image". "Image" is in a separate menu item ( as : Apple/Photos/Files/Edit/Image/Presentation/Window/Help). When I duplicate my photo (and see again in the duplicated photo the "J" badge) , clicking to enlarge it and going to "Image" ,where the "Retreat RAW" and "Use RAW as the original" are, those are still grey and cannot operate.

Patrick

Mar 5, 2018 5:12 AM in response to léonie

Ah ! Yes Léonie : I have just realized couple of hours ago that "Editing" is in fact the "Modifier" button and I got it !

Thanks a lot for you useful and expert help.

I have another question : once I get the RAW photo and would like to export it and load in another soft such as Photoshop. Unfortunately the RAW photo in "Photos" cannot be exported on the desktop for instance. Is there a way to do ?

Thanks

Patrick

"Photos" and stacked RAW+JPEG imported photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.