Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alerts do not sound when I receive a text message.

My wife’s iPhone does the same thing.

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2018 8:24 PM

I have had this issue for almost a year now. It inconsistently gives me alerts for texts and Reminders. I have tried EVERY SINGLE fix, including Apple sending me a new iPhone 7 since they agreed I had tried all possible fixes. BUT...the problem is identical in the new iPhone. Is Apple ever going to fix this problem, as it's obviously a software and not a hardware issue!

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2018 8:24 PM in response to JWSHOS

I have had this issue for almost a year now. It inconsistently gives me alerts for texts and Reminders. I have tried EVERY SINGLE fix, including Apple sending me a new iPhone 7 since they agreed I had tried all possible fixes. BUT...the problem is identical in the new iPhone. Is Apple ever going to fix this problem, as it's obviously a software and not a hardware issue!

Jul 26, 2018 8:09 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Well hi! I have iPhone X and it is doing the same thing. Messages will sound no alert when phone screen is off and in locked screen. This is a problem, since my wife thinks I’m not responding to her messages. One day it will be an emergency. I I have done all the settings; i.e. notifications, day night, mute, volume. This is basic 101 stuff that should work on any phone my 5110 Nokia phone from 1998 never gave problems. It always beeped! Apple should respond and provide an update! Is anyone following up on this with them. They are getting notoriously hard to get hold of internationally.

Jul 3, 2018 8:47 AM in response to patriciafromdallas

If you have an Apple Watch paired to your iPhone, then when the iPhone is locked, notifications will not go to the phone, they will go to the Apple Watch. As far as alerts to the iPad, if you have Messages turned on for the iPad, you should receive notifications if the sound is turned on, and notifications are set in Settings.

Those are two different issues between the phone and the iPad. This explains how notifications work between the iPhone and the Apple Watch. Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Mar 16, 2018 8:13 AM in response to bannerfish

Given that the OP or yourself do not indicate any of the troubleshooting that you have accomplished, anyone that responds is going to have to go through all of the troubleshooting steps. I've not encountered anyone experiencing sound issues with their iPhone X, and I've not experienced a problem either.

Are text messages the only sound you do not receive? Do you receive sound notifications when you receive an email? Do you happen to have an Apple Watch paired to your iPhone?

Apr 28, 2018 3:56 PM in response to JWSHOS

I had the same thing and found that when using an activity tracker synchronised via bluetooth, the notification sounds would be silenced. To check this try to change the noise associated to the notification and no sound will be heard. Switching off bluetooth brought back the sounds ! This was true for all notification sounds except Ringtone - which always worked.

I'm using OS 11.3.1

APPLE - Definitely think it's a software issue. The connected device was a FITBIT tracker. Someone has coded the phone notification sounds to be silenced [with no option] when the tracker is connected and in range.

Jun 19, 2018 12:09 PM in response to Mini Adventure

I agree, when I first got my Fitbit all worked well. My phone would ding, the message would appear on my fitbit. Now notifications don't work on my phone and my fitbit doesn't display the texter or text information. My notifications are on, my alert noise is set, I have not hidden alerts for any of my contacts, my mute button is not engaged. As I play with these settings I will always get an alert for the first text, but none of the subsequent messages. Today I tried to disable blue tooth and I got the notification. Oddly enough after disabling bluetooth I also noticed Do not disturb was on, so I disabled that and re-enabled bluetooth. I got the notification, but the text alert was not sent to my fitbit like it used to. I will need to wait to see if I get alerts for any more texts or if it's still only working for the first text after a change.

FYI - My fitbit also isn't syncing properly, my dashboard on the web is correct, but the Fitbit app doesn't display my sleep information correctly. All days show the current day's information. Could be the Fitbit app messing things up. I"ve posted to Fitbit forums about the sync issue and nobody was able to help me (so far).

Alerts do not sound when I receive a text message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.