Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer not printing through Time Capsule

I have moved house. New WiFi connection. Same computer, same Time Capsule, same printer.

The printer is a HP that is not WiFi so it is connected to the Time Machine via USB.

WiFi works fine. Time Machine is connected and backing up fine.

Printer shows up in the printer list but when i press print, the printer dialogue box says, "The printer is not connected."

I have removed the printer from the list and reinstalled it.

Any ideas?

iMac, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 10:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 10:55 PM

Normally you need to do a full factory reset when you move the TC from one network environment to another.

You got tricked because the backup is still managing to work.. however getting printing to USB working is a lot harder.. I would factory reset and reconfigure the TC from scratch.. it will not delete your backups but you might need to point Time Machine in the computer to the correct location if you change its name.

I do btw strongly recommend using new names.. all short, no spaces and pure alphanumerics. NOT Apple recommended names in the airport utility.

Passwords same rules..

Post back if you continue having issues. It is helpful to also know the printer model as other people may have same or similar setup.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 10:55 PM in response to Paulapple2014

Normally you need to do a full factory reset when you move the TC from one network environment to another.

You got tricked because the backup is still managing to work.. however getting printing to USB working is a lot harder.. I would factory reset and reconfigure the TC from scratch.. it will not delete your backups but you might need to point Time Machine in the computer to the correct location if you change its name.

I do btw strongly recommend using new names.. all short, no spaces and pure alphanumerics. NOT Apple recommended names in the airport utility.

Passwords same rules..

Post back if you continue having issues. It is helpful to also know the printer model as other people may have same or similar setup.

Mar 6, 2018 3:37 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks so much for the reply.

Did a factory reset. redid all names and passwords as suggested and the Time Capsule is backing up as it should.

Still showing printer not connected.

I deleted the printer from the list and reinstalled it. Still no luck.

The printer is a HP Laser Jet P1005 connected to the Time Capsule via USB.

Any more suggestions?

Mar 6, 2018 12:24 PM in response to Paulapple2014

Hmmm... I have to admit I usually avoid the problem at this point. So I recommend to people to buy a network printer. They are cheap now.. to the point where purchasing a new toner cartridge for the old printer and buying a new printer are not too different. As btw.. laser jet P1005 is host based. That means there is no page interpreter in the printer.. it is entirely handled by the software driver in the computer.. these are the most difficult printers to use over network.. as the printer was designed from ground up as personal (P means Personal) printer plugged to one computer.

Let me try and work through the problem.

My guess would be that your change of house involved a new modem router which is simply less bonjour aware.

The printer needs to work via bonjour. Since all the other elements stay the same.. that would be where I am guessing the problem lies. Although it is surprising the printer seems to show as available and then shows as disconnected when you actually attempt to print.

I need some details of the network.

1. What OS is the computer running?

2. What is make and model of your main modem router?

3. What model is the Time Capsule?

4. Is the TC plugged into the main router by ethernet and running in bridge mode?

5. Is the computer using the TC wireless or main router wireless for its connection?

6. If the later would it be possible to arrange the TC to provide wireless network you connect to from the computer?

7. Would it be possible to get ethernet to the computer.. via the TC?

Screenshots from airport utility are very helpful and welcome.

My aim would be to change the TC from bridge to router .. but in a special way.. DHCP only with no NAT. And have the computer connect directly to the TC by wireless or ethernet instead of via the main router which I suspect is mishandling the bonjour.

Mar 6, 2018 10:04 PM in response to Paulapple2014

Yes.. definitely a great plan.. and I tend to go Brother these days if you were HP fan..

Buy one that is airprint capable and the setup issues will pretty much disappear.

You can still plug the USB printer directly into a computer.. and share that to the network. You can buy USB extension leads up to 5M long.. so it should not be impossible.. but in the end.. the manufacturers are kind of forcing you buy.

Printer not printing through Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.