Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer not recognising when connected to QUALTUM powered USB hub to TC

I have QUANTUM powered USB hub connected to Time Capsule USB. Connected hard drive to usb hub works fine. If I connect HP1020 printer to the usb hub it is not being recognised. Pl help

AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 12:23 AM

I have had good success with ordinary cheap made in China ones that look like this.

User uploaded file

Cheap generic are usually better than usb 3 brand name..

Sadly firmware updates would have to be applied to the Airport.. not the USB hub which means older ones could work better..

However there is another problem.. WARNING WARNING..

If the hard disk you plug in is >2TB the older hub may not recognise it. You do actually need an updated (or USB3 hub) for disks over 2TB which is a magical limit to lots of older systems.

The USB2 hub should cost just a few dollars.. cheap as chips!!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2018 12:23 AM in response to akrishnas806

I have had good success with ordinary cheap made in China ones that look like this.

User uploaded file

Cheap generic are usually better than usb 3 brand name..

Sadly firmware updates would have to be applied to the Airport.. not the USB hub which means older ones could work better..

However there is another problem.. WARNING WARNING..

If the hard disk you plug in is >2TB the older hub may not recognise it. You do actually need an updated (or USB3 hub) for disks over 2TB which is a magical limit to lots of older systems.

The USB2 hub should cost just a few dollars.. cheap as chips!!

Sep 20, 2018 10:13 AM in response to akrishnas806

What happens if you temporarily disconnect the USB hub from the Time Capsule and connect the HP printer directly to the USB port on the Time Capsule?

Frankly, since Apple offers very limited printer support at the USB port of the Time Capsule, I would be surprised if the laser printer will work when connected to the USB port of the Time Capsule, but I suppose that anything is possible.

If the printer is not recognized when you temporarily connect it to the Time Capsule, then this tells you that it will also not be recognized when you put the USB hub back in place.

On the other hand, if the printer is recognized when it is connected directly to the Time Capsule, you have an issue with the USB hub.....not the Time Capsule.

If the printer is not recognized when you test by connecting it directly the Time Capsule, then your next option would be to contact HP support to see if they have any special software that would be compatible with the Time Capsule. If not, then your only remaining option will be to try connecting the printer directly to your computer to see if it will work that way.

Sep 20, 2018 9:52 PM in response to akrishnas806

If the printer works when it is connected directly to the Time Capsule, then you know that the USB port and firmware on the Time Capsule are working correctly. Nothing more than you can do as far as the Time Capsule is concerned.

My advice would be to ask QUANTUM support if they have any firmware updates available that you could apply to the USB hub. If they cannot help, then you will have to try a USB hub from another brand.

Unfortunately, Apple offers no information at all about which hubs will and will not work with the Time Capsule, so you may have to try several different hubs to find a compatible model.

Since the USB port on the Time Capsule is an older USB 2.0 design, I would look for a USB 2.0 hub.....and not a USB 3.0 hub that claims to be compatible with USB 2.0.

Printer not recognising when connected to QUALTUM powered USB hub to TC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.