Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incorrect time for .MOV video files (video and .MOV from live photo)

When copying the media from my iPhone (.MOV and .JPG) files to a Windows computer I noticed an incorrect time for the .MOV files (Date column in Windows File Explorer) when the videos are taken anywhere but in my
home time zone. They will show the time at my home (CET) not the local time when and where the movies were shot.Photos have a time stamp showing the local time as expected.
So when sorting a mix of videos and videos they are out of sequence. You can also see this behaviour with the .MOV file of a Live Photo.

User uploaded file

No problem for .MOV taken in my home town Belgium UTC+1

IMG_1494.JPG, IMG_1494.MOV :have both 30/12/2017 6:30

Incorrect time for .MOV (from videos or the video from a live photo) taken in Portugal UTC+0

IMG_1496.MOV (has 30/12/2017 10:39 and IMG_1496.JPG has 30/12/2017 9:39)

The Date column is showing the time when the video is taken in Belgium (UTC+1), and the photos have the local time of where the photo is taken in Portugal (UTC+0).

So if you sort on the Date column they are out of sequence.

iPhone 7, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 1:25 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 13, 2018 1:58 AM in response to AlefA

This gives also a problem when you are for example using the Photo Station Uploader tool from Synology to upload the videos and photos to your NAS and rename the original filenames to a name with a date time (this is a feature "Rename files with taken time" in the Photo Station Uploader tool).

Because the date is not correct for the .MOV video files they are not anymore in chronological order when viewing the media files through Photo Station.

Incorrect time for .MOV video files (video and .MOV from live photo)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.